Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 5:30:44 AM EDT
My agency is looking at authorizing patrol carbines on a limited basis.  We are the largest university in the state, with and average daytime population of about 36K, of which about 26K is students.  We are located in the largest city in the state, almost in the geographic center of a metropolitan area of about 625K people.  We are actually within the city's buisiest area command.  We have a very spread out, non centralized campus with reseach parks, offices, and sports facilities located a couple of miles away from the main campus.

What I need are policies, procedures, and/or lesson plans for what other universities allow.  I know several other schools out there permit patrol rifles to officers.  You can IM me, and I will send my credentials and verification information if need be.  

Be warned that I can only get on line here about once a week, so if time goes by, don't give up on me.  This is also not the only board that I will be soliciting information, so I will try to be systematic so that no one gets left out, since you all would be doing me a favor...

Thanks

pat
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
bump for the guys that took spring break off.

pat
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to work at the Colorado School of Mines. We were employed by the Colorado Department of Public Safety. This was back in the 80's and we were not allowed long guns.

I suggest you send your question to some of the larger schools in your state, and or in neighboring states to see if they have such a policy. Your state police would also be a good choice.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
All three schools in Arizona use POST-certified officers.  Perhaps one of them would be able to help you.

(I'd talk to the U of A guys first.  ASU ones will probably just screw things up.  )
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#4]
ah, google...

www.utwatch.org/security/utpd_manual.pdf

that help any?  just one I found, you may need to check with them for current status...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I am, but we don't have patrol rifles. We have $1000+ Wilson combat scattergun 870's, h&K usp's which we are losing in favor of sig GSR 1911's and 226 DAK .40's. Our "squirt" team (CIRT/SWAT/SRT/TAC) is issued FN P90 FA's but they re in the armory under lock and key.

We have 30k people here during the day and are in a crappy part of town, which is 88k people.
We had an OIS a few months ago..

We have 50 sworn.
We had 1000 arrests in 2005.
We could use rifles as well..
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Bushmaster LE M4-type (flat top)
+ EOTech 512
+ Rear sight of your choice, ARMS, GG&G
+ 3-point sling

Total cost should be around $1100 per unit for LE
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All three schools in Arizona use POST-certified officers.  Perhaps one of them would be able to help you.

(I'd talk to the U of A guys first.  ASU ones will probably just screw things up.  )

ASU cops are from PPD, IIRC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top