Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:28:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The police in a town close to me arrested a 24 year old man 2 days ago and charged him with manslaughter in regards to the killing of a 20 year old. They aren't saying much but from the info I've heard..the 20 year old broke into the house of the 24 year old and attacked him with a pipe. The 24 year old used a "sword" to defend himself hitting the attacker once. Apparently he sliced him diagonally from his upper chest down to his waist killing him.
They had the 24 year old in court yesterday, charged him with manslaughter and released him on his own recognizance. Very unusual. Most cases like this the person charged is remanded until their trial date.
It will be interesting to see if this is resolved as a case of self defence.

Keep us updated.  Sounds clear cut to me but to be charged is odd.  Makes me curious.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't even think about that,  I guess things are a little more different north of the border than I thought.  Down here in most places LEO's have the discretion to arrest or not in cases like that one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:39:10 AM EDT
[#4]
It often seems like it depends on what wave the State Attorney is riding on this moment/month/year ;
the "right" to self-defence OR the get-tough-on-crime wave, AND what spin is put on the incident. VERRRRY important here to be well within legal bounds if something goes down.  Every time I hear  "It's better to be to be judged by 12 than buried by 6" (?) ... I silently agree, BUT I wonder how many people really know what they go through when they have to go throught that kind of thing.
+1 on keeping us informed.  I was in London when the local gent used an "illegal" sword cane to defend himself from a mugger. That wasn't pretty, either.     Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Well from the detail provided it sounds like self defense to me, but of course I am sure there is some details we do not know about.  Interesting though.

Keep us up to date
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The 24 year old used a "sword" to defend himself hitting the attacker once. Apparently he sliced him diagonally from his upper chest down to his waist killing him.

Sounds clear cut to me...

Indeed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top