User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any cop that has the time in to retire and doesn't after today needs psychiatric care.
View Quote

Pretty Much Above...

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The agency I retired from and others in the PHX metro area take out state laterals. Mine paid you study in order to challenge the POST waiver test and put you right into FTO. Yea command staff is command staff these days....somewhat political, but all the lefty shit going on other places doesn’t happen here yet. Get out of the “blue cities”.

There are many vacant positions in Maricopa County.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

A job in the reddest place in the country can become a horror show overnight.

The left has a lot of money kicking around to stir up shit and my guess is they'd just LOVE to crucify cops in red states to send the rest of the country a message and break down LEO morale.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The agency I retired from and others in the PHX metro area take out state laterals. Mine paid you study in order to challenge the POST waiver test and put you right into FTO. Yea command staff is command staff these days....somewhat political, but all the lefty shit going on other places doesn’t happen here yet. Get out of the “blue cities”.

View Quote

The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office has a Federal monitor and Phoenix PD has Citizen Oversight Committees and all the liberal baggage, so I’m not sure your statement holds up well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Phoenix PD has Citizen Oversight Committees and all the liberal baggage, so I’m not sure your statement holds up well.
View Quote

They ought to have a police SUPERVISOR oversight committee to keep supervisors from throwing good working cops to the wolves to cover their own asses.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The city council are simply a bunch or morons.  

However, in addition to this, they are technically delusional.  

By this, I mean that they are not in touch with reality.   Their actions had predictable consequences, but they are surprised because, according to their false reality, they didn't expect an exodus of officers, and for murders to almost triple.  This is the problem with the liberal delusion - it kills innocent people.

With enough pain and suffering by the citizens, this situation will eventually be self-correcting when the population finally votes in a city council that is in touch with reality.  

Since a large portion of the population shares this delusion, it may take a shockingly large amount of deaths and tragedy before this happens.  Therefore, wise people would be well-advised to get out of the city ASAP and relocate to a saner, and therefore safer, location.

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Yup, that is absolutely right.  While Cops will suffer some in their own way and pay a price in blood, its the public that will truly suffer the consequences in blood and tragedy before they pull their heads out of

their fucking asses.  Its pretty sad and upsetting to put it mildly...
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yup, that is absolutely right.  While Cops will suffer some in their own way and pay a price in blood, its the public that will truly suffer the consequences in blood and tragedy before they pull their heads out of

View Quote

Unfortunately, people seem to like to learn things the hard way.

Cops don’t like to lose fellow cops in the line of duty but we know it happens and we accept it. The problem most people don’t realize we have yet is....those cops are leaving the job and aren’t being replaced.....not because we don’t want to replace them....we can’t find their replacements.

The 1994 Crime Bill, while it certainly had bad things in it, actually worked. The restrictions on AR15s were meaningless but the part that worked was increasing sentences, “three strikes and you’re out” laws, increased prison funding, and it gave funding to hire and put 100k more officers on the streets. The public was sick of the violent crime rates and wanted something done. It worked and violent crime rates plummeted.

We are going in the exact opposite direction now. I wonder where cop numbers are now compared to numbers in 1994.

Here’s a link showing officer numbers for 1994-2012.
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/nsleed.pdf

603,099 sworn officers in 1994
750,340 sworn officers in 2012

Don’t know what the officer numbers look like today or will look like at the end of this year....but it’s not looking good. Considering the sheer number of agencies hiring nationwide, officer numbers have to be down significantly. I’m seeing officer numbers down  10% and higher from the agencies I have contacts in nationwide although the numbers are probably significantly higher in some places.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Austin city council is looking at a proposal to disarm the PD this week.   The May retirement.resignation list is currently at 29.

So many people are leaving that they've started to combine retirement parties.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Defend yourself gentlemen.

Police respond after the incident.

The city is refunding the no longer needed tax dollars, right?
View Quote

The word will be redirecting not refunding.  Like letting rats guard the cheese.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Austin city council is looking at a proposal to disarm the PD this week.   The May retirement.resignation list is currently at 29.

So many people are leaving that they've started to combine retirement parties.
View Quote

What is the proposal and what are the odds it passes?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link to proposal? And JFC, fuck that…
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

No proposals yet, Casar wants to make it a priority.   28 officers on the leaving list for May.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#14]
https://www.lawofficer.com/austin-police-department-finds-it-difficult-to-hire-recruits/

AUSTIN, Texas — Time is ticking for the Austin Police Department to recruit officers for June’s cadet class. The deadline to apply is Friday, May 14. The Austin Police Association‘s president said unlike years past, the class will be smaller: only 60 to 75 people. Ken Casaday said they usually start a class with 90 to 100 cadets.

The news comes as the City Council cut and reallocated $150 million of APD’s budget last year and delayed cadet classes, KVUE reported. By the end of the year, the department will be on the same staffing levels as 1998, according to the association president.

“I think we’re going to have a very difficult time hiring going forward due to, for one, the price of housing here in Austin has gone through the roof, and to all the differences with the activists and City Council,” Casaday said.

Casaday said the department is so short-staffed, some detectives will soon be forced to fill vacant patrol positions. This should happen in about a month. Officers from specialized units have already been moved to backfill the open patrol positions.

As of Wednesday, a spokesperson said APD has 1,677 officers and 132 vacancies, KVUE reported.

Cadets don’t become officers until they graduate the police academy. Once they graduate they will engage in a lengthy field training program. As a result, they will not be ready to fill needed vacancies until 2022.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
APD is a complete and total shit show right now. I feel bad for the people who live there and even the folks who live around Austin as all the turds are being cut loose with charges dropped all together for no reason

or PR bonds for shit like aggravated robbery.  They are emboldened are hitting areas surrounding Austin.  Other agencies are now enacting policies that they can't chase bad guys or conduct operations in Austin for

fear of running afoul of the retarded DA.  APD is being cannibalized just to barely maintain 60-80% staffing on patrol....
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
APD is a complete and total shit show right now. I feel bad for the people who live there and even the folks who live around Austin as all the turds are being cut loose with charges dropped all together for no reason

or PR bonds for shit like aggravated robbery.  They are emboldened are hitting areas surrounding Austin.  Other agencies are now enacting policies that they can't chase bad guys or conduct operations in Austin for

fear of running afoul of the retarded DA.  APD is being cannibalized just to barely maintain 60-80% staffing on patrol....
View Quote

The same DA was voted in by a majority of the voting public so now they are getting what they wanted.  Hopefully it hurts.....stupid is supposed to hurt.  

Texans are mostly a good bunch of people but the people in Austin are a special breed of stupid.  Good friend of mine who lives in SE TX just rolls his eyes every time I mention the stupidity of Austin.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Houston is a shit show too.  Kim Ogg is a real piece of work.
View Quote

You misspelled piece of shit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#18]
ZFG, let the left have what they want.  There's no other way to show how ridiculous their policies are.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They ought to have a police SUPERVISOR oversight committee to keep supervisors from throwing good working cops to the wolves to cover their own asses.
View Quote

I told my Chief recently, that for all the time and money they put someone through academy to begin the learning process of being a Cop, the most important thing that the academies don't teach n00bs, is how to deal with the stupidity of the management they will work for, and the management that management works for.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Major crime issue here in Atlanta.  Not surprised. Mayor was talking about bringing retirees back to work in the city parks.  I was like, fuck you bitch.  If it was a 9-11 type emergency, yeah, I’d be there.  And we had a lot of retirees come in and pull 12 hour shifts, when that went down. Retirees are not paid positions.  We get training from the city to maintain our certification.  For free. In turn, we work a certain number of events to pay the city back.  I usually work 3 events.  But to come back and do enforcement shit?  Hell no.  What kind of enforcement type stuff is a 63 year old retired Lieutenant gonna do?  Nada.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#21]
The city council just pulled another 8 million from the police budget for a battered women's shelter.   They also intend to fund  all the new homeless camps too with PD money and the motors unit was just disbanded today and re assigned to patrol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Just remember, when escapees from the insanity (think CA, NY, and liberal cities) move to your conservative state/neighborhood, you need to immediately get to know them and find out their political leanings if possible. Then, you need to explain to them they left their shithole former city/state to get away from the bullshit. Don’t bring it here. Don’t vote for it here. And, if they start that shit, make their life a living hell (legally of course) until they either change or, better yet, move. You do NOT want these types of people moving to your state/neighborhood. It’s happening so if you value your freedom, you need to fight for it in any legal way you can.

I’ve heard transplants from liberal areas complain about things in my area and it’s music to my ears. I love hearing their complaints. If they hate it, I’m almost certainly all for it. And then I remind them how terrible it is here and why they need to move back.

Awhile back we took a call of a woman claiming she was being shot at. Rural area. We responded in emergency status since it sounded serious. Got there and found her neighbors were sighting in their deer rifles (just before deer season). Nothing dangerous. Not shooting at her or even remotely near her direction. Shooting safely into a berm on their own property. Their little range just wasn’t too far from her house. Turns out she had just moved there from.....yep you guessed it....CA. We just laughed and told her get used to it, that’s what we do around here. She was pretty upset we weren’t going to do anything about it. We told the neighbors they should up their round count and do it more often. No idea if they did or not but the crazy CA lady put her house on the market a few months later. Hopefully she moved back to the wonderful gun free utopia in CA.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Let it burn
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I heard Chicago PD is now working 12's and no days off because they can't staff patrol.  Can anyone confirm?

Clown world
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I heard Chicago PD is now working 12's and no days off because they can't staff patrol.  Can anyone confirm?

Clown world
View Quote

If you are on the road 12, you’re probably on the clock 13 or more.  45 or 50 hours of OT every week will break people and the budget quickly.

You get lots of call outs after 40.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Cops don’t like to lose fellow cops in the line of duty but we know it happens and we accept it. The problem most people don’t realize we have yet is....those cops are leaving the job and aren’t being replaced.....not because we don’t want to replace them....we can’t find their replacements.

The 1994 Crime Bill, while it certainly had bad things in it, actually worked. The restrictions on AR15s were meaningless but the part that worked was increasing sentences, “three strikes and you’re out” laws, increased prison funding, and it gave funding to hire and put 100k more officers on the streets. The public was sick of the violent crime rates and wanted something done. It worked and violent crime rates plummeted.

We are going in the exact opposite direction now. I wonder where cop numbers are now compared to numbers in 1994.

Don’t know what the officer numbers look like today or will look like at the end of this year....but it’s not looking good. Considering the sheer number of agencies hiring nationwide, officer numbers have to be down significantly. I’m seeing officer numbers down  10% and higher from the agencies I have contacts in nationwide although the numbers are probably significantly higher in some places.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Back in March I was talking to the head of the state certification program, and the subject came up of officer staffing (having moved to the state myself).

In the state I'm now in, according to the state LE cert coordinator, the number of active law enforcement certifications held as active (actually working in a job at that moment in time) went down a full 11% from March 2020 to March 2021. That's absolutely insane.

The rock is indeed rolling downhill, and it's going to do a biblical amount of damage before it hits bottom.

My agency has lost three people recently...one to an expected retirement at the end of a long career, one to jumping to the adjacent agency because grass-is-greener syndrome, and the third because they received an offer to to be the chief of another nearby agency (not sure if I'd have taken that offer, but it's not exactly what I'd describe as bailing from the profession). We're almost at full staffing levels, with only a couple of openings, and ongoing hardcore recruiting efforts from out-of-state and by sponsoring recruits through the academy. I had to point that out the other day to the command staff, that despite everything else, we're one of the very few agencies in the whole damn country that's basically at a proper staffing level anymore.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Back in March I was talking to the head of the state certification program, and the subject came up of officer staffing (having moved to the state myself).

In the state I'm now in, according to the state LE cert coordinator, the number of active law enforcement certifications held as active (actually working in a job at that moment in time) went down a full 11% from March 2020 to March 2021. That's absolutely insane.

The rock is indeed rolling downhill, and it's going to do a biblical amount of damage before it hits bottom.

My agency has lost three people recently...one to an expected retirement at the end of a long career, one to jumping to the adjacent agency because grass-is-greener syndrome, and the third because they received an offer to to be the chief of another nearby agency (not sure if I'd have taken that offer, but it's not exactly what I'd describe as bailing from the profession). We're almost at full staffing levels, with only a couple of openings, and ongoing hardcore recruiting efforts from out-of-state and by sponsoring recruits through the academy. I had to point that out the other day to the command staff, that despite everything else, we're one of the very few agencies in the whole damn country that's basically at a proper staffing level anymore.
View Quote

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is FL is doing better than most states as far as staffing because it's a retirement destination for many including retired LE officers who take post retirement LE jobs in FL.  If FL staffing is down, that's a terrible sign for other states.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is FL is doing better than most states as far as staffing because it's a retirement destination for many including retired LE officers who take post retirement LE jobs in FL.  If FL staffing is down, that's a terrible sign for other states.
View Quote

Not a Florida LEO, but I have met several guys in classes that were retired from NYPD and agencies out west who are now doing LE in Florida.  Seems like a fairly common thing.
Actually met one in April at a less lethal instructor re cert that was a retired NYPD ESU Lt.  who now works in the Orlando are.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#29]
People who love Austin, love it for what it was- and their ideality of what they think it was.  Not for what it actually is - which is a disgrace, and a case study of what happens when you let elementary school children run the classroom.

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tag does not accurately reflect my location.

That said, FL recruitment has been down for ages. Some of the big metro agencies might not be hurting as much, since they can headhunt from smaller ones using their better pay, but overall my observations have been that FL is not much better off than most of the country.

FHP for instance, has been chronically understaffed for eons. I've seen instances where they literally couldn't field a single trooper to cover an entire major county for a shift.

I had to laugh, reading an article recently about LE agencies in FL, and a claim that a certain agency had replied to a request for comment by saying they had no vacancies...an absolute bold-faced lie, given that they're so short-handed they can't fully cover their patrol zones, let alone have backup officers...and that even if fully staffed, their own internal analytics show they should have 40% more officers on the road to meet average FBI guidelines.

Meanwhile, a neighboring agency has (officially) about 75 vacant positions, and has been low for years. Word they said at one point when I spoke to their recruitment was closer to 300 openings. I knew someone who bailed from there, and he relayed how he'd come on shift and always have 5-6 report calls stacked up in backlog just for him and his zone.

Granted, there are guys who would retire from NYPD or elsewhere up north, and move down...but that's not as many as you might think. Maybe 1 out of every 50 cops or so? One guy came down from 20 years NYPD, went into FTO, and quit almost immediately upon graduation because it was such a stupid step backwards (and because he got a cushy cool investigative position elsewhere).

No, I doubt FL overall is in much of a better position than most of the country.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top