Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I plan on starting drop at 25 years, (I will be 56), do the full 5 years of drop, and retire at 60.  We dont get medical here, so I may drop at 27 and do the full 5 drop, and retire at 62, where medicare will pick up my part A.  I will get SS, so that will cover my Part B, I do not plan on getting a different job.  I am 50 now, so 12 to go.  We get 50% at 20, with 2.5% per year until a max of 80% at 32 years.  I am getting my high three now as a Captain, but if I promote again, we shall see.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#2]
In addition to my full time LE job, I've been teaching Administration of Justice classes at a local community college for about three years.  It's a bit of extra cash in my pocket and it's pretty fun, too.  For you guys who are getting on the tail end of your primary career, you should look into teaching part time.  You have a wealth of experience which makes what can be otherwise pretty dry material into entertaining stuff for the kids.

I plan to move out of this glorious worker's paradise in a little under seven years.  This will give me close to 27 years on at age 53, and my pension formula is 3% per year of service, with a minimum retirement age of 50.  This equates to 81% of my annual salary.  This, combined with whatever side teaching gig I can get, will be more than enough for me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My plan is 25 years, 60%, minimum age of 52. I'll be 53 when I retire, plus I'll have my 457 deferred comp. My wife is also a state employee on a similar plan. Once I'm 53, I'll never work another day.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
At 49 years old I will have 25 years in (8 more until then) and can go at 75% of my top five. I plan on doing 5 years of drop and being out at 54.Between pension, DROP money and other investments I will be just fine.  I have a side business and hobbies to keep me busy afterwards.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top