Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2002 9:08:47 AM EDT
I seem to remember a ways back some posts about what some of you had to go through to be authorized to be able to carry your own AR-15 on patrol...I need all the info I can get...my SGT says 'write it up and send it up'...we currently only have shot guns in or vehicles...and I would like to carry my AR at least in the trunk. On a good night there are only 3 of us patrolling 180 square miles and we are quite isolated and back up is on its ways but it takes a while to get there...THANKS!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#1]
this is our policy:

Firearms/Range Officer has to inspect the POW for function and condition.

Must fire an "approved" cartridge

Dept ammo must be used

You must qaulify with it at the range

Chief or Capt must authorize the weapon

...It is really little more than a back-up as far as policy goes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Our policy is essentially the same as mentioned by Gunzilla.
Link Posted: 9/21/2002 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Our policy is also pretty close to Gunzilla's.  Our agency issues Colt AR-15's to Sergeants and a few troops but there are not enough to go around so they authorize the carry of your privately owned AR on duty as long as they are the same in design and function to the Colt Ar-15 (Bushmaster, Armalite, DPMS, etc. are acceptable but no trick triggers etc.) Optics are alslo acceptable however, you must qualify with the weapon the way you carry it.  The weapon must pass an inspection by our Armorer who will record the serial # and conduct follow-up routine inspections of the weapon.

When I wrote up my request, I outlined the working conditions and officer safety issues which justified me carrying a rifle.  

I would also suggest trying to get as much agency sponsored trainiing as possible in the area of patrol rifle or tactical rifle.  I think sending you to training is definately smart on the part of your agency and is a huge liability issue.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Reading SkyShark's, I forgot to mention a couple things.  We are authorized ARs as long as they are in the same configuration as a Colt AR.  Bushmaster, Rock River, Olympic Arms, etc., it doesn't matter as long as it is nothing crazy.  You are allowed to use any optics and lasers that you want, as long as there are iron sights on it for a back-up.

In the safe (a great place for long-guns) our ARs are bare naked Colt A2s and A3s.  A few of us keep our personally owned weapons (Bushmasters and Colts) with us all the time.  Most have EoTechs or Aimpoints on them, the ARMS #40 being the most popular flip up rear, and then a light on the foreend (usually surefire).
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I would highly recommend that you contact the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (serves Las Vegas and Clark County, NV).  They have the most progressive firearms policies of any large agency I know.

When I last worked in the area, there policy worked like this:  After one year (essentially the end of your probation) you could purchase either a Mini-14 or AR-15 with your own money.  You then attended a two day patrol rifle class and when completed, you could bring the rifle on patrol with you.  They did have certain limitiations on the rifles, no optics seems to stick with me for some reason.

My agency allows the carrying of personal weapons (pistol, shotgun, and rifle).  They do specify manufacturers - pistols must be Sig classics and rifles must be Colt.  The rifle has to be checked through NCIC and inspected by an armorer.  Once that is done a memo is prepared and forwarded to the folks that track our weapons inventory.  Optics are allowed but you must qualify with your iron sights.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#6]
My department allows us to carry our own AR or other long gun as long as we attend our departments rifle class.  We have to qualify with it in the configuration you carry it.  It may be equipped with optics, but must also have iron sights.  You must shoot the qual course with optics and then again with iron sights.  We are also restricted to certain reputable makers, i.e. Colt, Bushmaster etc.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, fellas...and especially to Art who e-mailed me some good stuff...I'll keep you posted on how this works, it'll still be a little while as there are a few more things that I'm putting together for this....again, THANKS!
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2002 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]
We issue F/A M-16A-1s to Sergeants who are shift supervisors in the Patrol Division. We also have M-14s in the armory should the need arise. Individual Officers can carry patrol carbines if they wish to and can qualify with them along with issue shotguns...

7th
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top