Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2002 12:49:59 AM EDT
I was lucky enough to get medic training and not certified for it (which means I can treat military, but can't *legally* treat civilians as an EMT I think).  Anyone know what kind of school I have to go through in Georgia or Florida to get EMT certified?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 3:06:30 AM EDT
[#1]
As a medic you should find the transition trivial, and perhaps a bit limiting.

See [url]http://www.emsmagazine.com/SURVEY/florida.html[/url]

and

[url]http://www.emsmagazine.com/SURVEY/georgia.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Yikes!  This is like comparing apples and porcupines!
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Brother medic, you'll have to attend your local EMT class. I don't think they'll let you challenge the test. After that take the National Registry test and you'll be good to travel.

Remember that Mil' Medic's don't have to work on the elderly much. GSW's aren't too bad compared to a projectile vomiting MI in a hot, bouncing ambulance. Keep that in mind.

The pay is very bad but you do get to save people. Great fun, but truly a young mans job.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a bit of young blood to burn off.  I hate having to get "certified" by a different organization.  Maybe I can get the reserves to send me to a school.  Ah well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
it depends on whether the state has national registry or not, for example here in michigan before last year you could take paramedic in a few months, now with national registry it's between 1 and 2 years. and para's still don't make shit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have to sit through the EMT Basic and/or EMT Intermediate classes you will be bored to tears. Pay attention to the legal aspects, though.

Not all states are "National Registry" states. The NREMT ([url]www.nremt.org[/url]) is quite the racket, really. Kind of like the organization that sanctions the SATs. It is nice to have a standard curriculum that is portable to a lot of states, though. Even if it is a National Registry state, you will still be faced with unique state and local treatment protocols.

I can't recommend it as a living, but it can be tremendously rewarding. I only got involved because I (used to--just moved) was able to volunteer on a 100% volunteer rural emergency service. You can make a living at it if you become part of a full-time, unionized, fire service based operation. Union fire service paramedics make around $40K a year in my area, with plenty of time left over to hold down a second job or business, or just kick back, due to a 24 on 72 off schedule. Not a bad deal, if you can get it--last job opening I saw generated hundreds of applications.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I was hoping to fill a medic role on a SWAT unit or something that would be similar to what I did in the military.  I miss being Doc.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I was in the same boat you are in now...(I even had NREMT cert out of Ft Sam) When I got on with my Dept. They still made me go thru the EMT class (that was ok to) I smoked all the new guy's then I took the TEMS class..that way you can still use your skills and dont have to take the full blown Medic class..
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe I should get used to the fact that I'm never going to have the same type of job on the outside.  I suppose it's not so bad.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
The 91-B is not the same as a Paramedic anyway, I look at it more as a EMT I.V. tech. I know that in my area now for the EMT Class you get AED skills ..(I had to do DEFIB as a extra) the I.V. stuff depends on where you are at, and what your MPD wants to let you do...If you are still in the Guard or Reserves just play the game with them..If you can get onto a dept. see if the sheriffs office or city dept. has a ERT team...If you can get it (because it is a blast) get the TEMS class..With some time under your belt on the civ. side your backround as a Combat Medic can help when the Teams decide if they want you...Hey Man you sound like you want it!. Try to get into the super B class at Ft. Sam...If you pass you get NREMT-P out of the deal..(I hear they have changed the MOS name since I got out to 91-W) but it is the NCO Medic class....Also have your plt sgt look into the AEP program for you..you can get all your books for free...Now did they go P/C on us? It used to be Soldier Medic...BORN TO KILL /TRAINED TO SAVE!....
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Although trained as a soldiermedic, I've done a branch jump to the Air Force as a Biomedical Environmental Engineer (something like 91S in the Army), so I might be able to reclass to the AF version of the 91B (or is it 91W now?).  I'll have to look into it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was hoping to fill a medic role on a SWAT unit or something that would be similar to what I did in the military.  I miss being Doc.
View Quote

They call me "Doc" on our REACT team.  It brings back some memories of good old Fort Sam and my Unit. The Army is going to 91W now....a super medic or whatever they want to call them.

To get my civi EMT license in Missouri all I had to do was take a small class on the AED and get signed off on it and take the Missouri written test.  I did not have to take the hands on test.

Now the EMT-P was a diff. story.  I had to take the entire course.

Soldier Medic!

medcop
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 3:07:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't suppose that you end up hooking up half a platoon with IVs to rehydrate every Sunday morning Medcop?  It's one of my fondest memories as a medic, but I just don't see myself doing the same thing wearing blue that I did wearing green.  I also liked the idea that no one messed with Doc unless they had some sort of death wish.  Ah, sweet memories.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#15]
o- im starting to miss the RIVER WALK!
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I got sent back to San An for a week for a board, which was during CSM Scott's retirement, so there was plenty of time for us junior enlisted folk to raise hell.  Ah, Army life was rough.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Good sam laws should protect you unless you do something that you have not been trained to do.
You cannot charge to do what EMT's do , nor can you represent yourself as an EMT. You can say you have been trained as an army medic and let that go at that. Contact your local community coll for EMT Basic Course.  At last glance most states have a ~140 hour course for Basic and 400 hr for Paramedic.
good luck

Lebrew
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#18]
LOL!  Ahhh...memories of the Sunday morning (sometimes late afternoon) IV therapy class. [;)]

I also have some very great memories of the Riverwalk, but I don't think we need to get into them on the boards [:)]  

medcop
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Although I was trained in another country and thus another system. I took an initial nosedive payment wise to become a paramedic. I was working triage/emergency for four years but wanted out of the hospital and onto the streets.

I went from "NURSE!!!" to "DOC!!" and I like that. With the additional courses and training I followed my pay is higher than on the ER.

I get to do the same things as in the ER and more with less people (just me and my partner) and the decisionmaking is mine.

You'll never see me inside a hospital for longer than 15 minutes, it would be either to transfer a patient or for a short needed coffeebreak.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top