Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:25:40 PM EDT
Glock 26 or XD 9, any suggestions or advice?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Lady's We need your help we are haveing a hard time picking out a hand gun...

If I can ask you to sound with what type of hand gun you carry and why(this will help out ). She was realy thinking about getting a glock in a 40 S&W.  But told her if you do a 40 you might as well go to a 45...

And are little house hold is coming apart for the fact we are having a hard time picking out a new hand gun.

Thank you
freeflow       And YES thats me!

And this is her first post.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Taurus PT145. Wife dosen't have big hands and she shoots it well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I just took my CCW class a week ago and now await my permit in the mail (prob 120 days as slow as it is in Clark County).

I only have an XD 9 subcompact at this time. Been shooting with it for 2 years and love it, but still need the experience of carrying it everyday to know the pros and cons.

It's up to the individual - whatever they are most comfortable and confident with, and conceals well for their body type.

I plan on purchasing something different soon to add to my CCW...want as many choices as possible, in case one doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#5]
The Glock 26/27 is a good choice, but if she can handle the .45 I think the G36 is a much nicer concealed carry pistol. I sold my G27 and switched to the G36. See if you can find a range that rents all of the pistols she is considering and try 'em out.

You may also want to consider looking at Kahr. They have some nice single stack 9mm/.40sw pistols.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#6]
A G19 or 26.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Well thank you everyone for the help I told freeflow that he could get his Barret 50 after I get my new ccw. and that was 5 months ago...
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Small hands. Hate Glocks.

XD or Sig P239 in .40

Why not get a .45? Well, chances are you may not enjoy shooting it as much as a .40 and when it comes down to it, if you aim in correct location you won't need the extra kick you'll get out of the .45 anyway.

This is just my opinion. We gals have had this .45 discussion before and there are others who love theirs. I just don't find it an enjoyable shot when its a shorter barrel. Give me 5" or more or give me a .40
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Freeflow, you're going to get a Barrett .50?  I think I kinda hate you now.

<-------------wants an L82A1

No just a 99 kit tan someday I hope.... the last one we got was a  ar and I had to duracoated it pink and now a pistol.
Thank you girls for all the help

SigZiggy   You rock  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small hands. Hate Glocks.

XD or Sig P239 in .40

Why not get a .45? Well, chances are you may not enjoy shooting it as much as a .40 and when it comes down to it, if you aim in correct location you won't need the extra kick you'll get out of the .45 anyway.

This is just my opinion. We gals have had this .45 discussion before and there are others who love theirs. I just don't find it an enjoyable shot when its a shorter barrel. Give me 5" or more or give me a .40
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:08:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Give me 5" or more

As a newby here and especially on the women's forum, I really shouldn't be doing this, but....wow, just wow.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Wheel gun if your new to shooting pistols. Give this a read and think it over. Easy to use, packaged about right, +p no problem.  www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/M637.htm

Glocks for alot of women just dont seem to fit . For a woman that is comfortable shooting a semi-auto hand gun and has small hands. Sig 232

I am all over the Sig 232 for people looking for a smaller package.  Its better to have it on you than leave it at home. It small but works everytime.

I just spoke with the last person I helped with picking out a CCW pistol. Its been 3 months and still happy with the Sig. Everyday carry on a belt. They did say they have problems getting the holster they wanted. Seems the 232 is not a common CCW for good holsters makers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Glocks are a chunky fit in my hand - not a comfortable fit. I am a Sig lover by far. Being a lefty I found that the mag release for the Sig 232 rubbed me the wrong way, but it is a nice compact package. I know many who carry them happily.

Although I love my Sig P239 for keeping in the center console - if I take anything to actually wear on me concealed, it would be my S&W 340 PD .38 S&W spl. Light, compact, barely notice it's there, fun to shoot, and when you carry it you have the option of using .357 if you feel the need for more power.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag for the info and Zig? I came thisclose to making that 5" reference my sigline.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Tag for the info and Zig? I came thisclose to making that 5" reference my sigline.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Have over 4,000 rounds through my XD, sights never fell off, points well, recoil's not a problem (I shoot .45 as well), and love the grip safety feature. No rust either. Did get the limp wrist jam when first learning how to shoot it, but not now.

No one gun is perfect for everyone. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife is 5' 1" and I was originally going to get a Glock, until I had my wife hold it.  She couldn't even reach the trigger comfortably.  We have a HS2000 (the first import of the XD) now because it fit her hands very well.

I've shot a Glock, and an XD40 subcompact, and I really couldn't tell the difference between the two in recoil.  The XD fits my hand better, too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a G26 and like it a lot. I also like my G21 and wanted a G36 for CCW. I had read about some people having feeding problems with it and I had a problem once shooting a G27, it stovepiped for everyone once or twice but it stovepiped for me every round.

I decided on a 357 wheelgun, I even started what turned out to be an amusing thread on it in general discussion. It's a steel frame, I can't imagine shooting one of those light frames in 357 but a 38 special airlight might be doable. It would certainly be carryable. I ordered a fist holster for the 357 and will probably do the same for the G26.

I got the wheelgun because I was concerned about what would happen if I didn't have time to assume the perfect grip. There have been a few parking lot robberies carjackings and abductions around here and the revovler will operate even from my pocket! It has a shrouded hammer. I have a 38spec snubbie but it shoots a little to the left, I'm going to take it out again tommorrow after putting something bright on the front site and trying different ammo to see if that helps.

Anyhoo, here is a target shooting 357 ammo out of the 357 revolver, I'm going to try 38's though it tommorrow.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top