Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2001 6:07:38 PM EDT
I don't know if this is the right forum, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. If I have the info on a paticular armored unit to derve in WWII, where would I have to go to trace thier steps? As my father served, I would like to know more as to where he went and what action he may have seen. I just wish I would have been smart enough to ask him while I still had him....
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:43:54 PM EDT
what was the unit and when was it you need to know about? I have a pretty good set of books on army units that i got from a friend who got them from west point. maybe i could help...pat
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:20:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:41:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By paterpk: what was the unit and when was it you need to know about? I have a pretty good set of books on army units that i got from a friend who got them from west point. maybe i could help...pat[/qu Thanks Pat. I know he trained with the 741 armored in California, and I am pretty sure when he went overseas he was with the 701 armored. I think the time frame was in late 1944 thru the end of the war. He often talked of France and Belgum as well as Germany. I think, nearly positive he was not a part of the Normanky invasion, probably a little later. Any help would appreciated fullclip
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:15:30 PM EDT
Perhaps I could be more clear, it was a tank battalion, probably 741st, possibly the 701st. thanks... fullclip
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 3:13:19 PM EDT
Contact the Army and request a copy of his service record and his DD-214. As his son this shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:56:31 PM EDT
To all who have replied, i don't know how to thank you enough. All of the info I have read thru has been of the greatest interest, and help. The advvice and links to the Army have been great. i will now contact the Army for his file, and see what devolops. As for what unit he served in, from what I have gathered from friends and family he trained with the 741st in the states. and was transfered to the 701st to create a new unit to go to Europe after d-day. So now more work and digging. Thanks again for all your help....fullclip
Top Top