Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2001 6:07:38 PM EDT
I don't know if this is the right forum, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. If I have the info on a paticular armored unit to derve in WWII, where would I have to go to trace thier steps?  As my father served, I would like to know more as to where he went and what action he may have seen. I just wish I would have been smart enough to ask him while I still had him....
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
what was the unit and when was it you need to know about? I have a pretty good set of books on army units that i got from a friend who got them from west point. maybe i could help...pat
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:20:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 3:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
what was the unit and when was it you need to know about? I have a pretty good set of books on army units that i got from a friend who got them from west point. maybe i could help...pat[/qu  

Thanks Pat. I know he trained with the 741 armored in California, and I am pretty sure when he went overseas he was with the 701 armored. I think the time frame was in late 1944 thru the end of the war. He often talked of France and Belgum as well as Germany. I think, nearly positive he was not a part of the Normanky invasion, probably a little later. Any help would appreciated   fullclip
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps I could be more clear, it was a tank battalion, probably 741st, possibly the 701st.   thanks...    fullclip
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Contact the Army and request a copy of his service record and his DD-214. As his son this shouldn't be a problem. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
To all who have replied, i don't know how to thank you enough. All of the info I have read thru has been of the greatest interest, and help. The advvice and links to the Army have been great. i will now contact the Army for his file, and see what devolops.
As for what unit he served in, from what I have gathered from friends and family he trained with the 741st in the states. and was transfered to the 701st to create a new unit to go to Europe after d-day. So now more work and digging.
Thanks again for all your help....fullclip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top