Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2017 4:11:32 PM EDT
Wondering if I can get some thoughts on some interesting Nazi memorabilia my brother has found while in Ukraine.  Hes found lots of items that appear to be genuine and I was wondering if any of it would be worth picking up just as a way to preserve history? One of the interesting pieces is a SS skull cap and that i was wondering if it or anything else would be worth picking up. Will try to post pictures but need to look into it since i heard photobucket no longer hosts images.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
For the historical part. I would.

For selling... You have a limited market right now.

Use imgur for pics.
You can get direct links to post pics
instead of posting a lame link.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell him not to pay much for it. Most likely reproduction. Repros that are better quality than the originals are all over the place. One of the reasons I stopped collecting that stuff.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Werhmacht Awards Forum. Lots of very experienced and knowledgeable collectors there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out Werhmacht Awards Forum. Lots of very experienced and knowledgeable collectors there.
View Quote
Do take things there with a grain of salt though. They told me that the silver tank battle badge my uncle who served in WWII gave me as a child was a fake.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do take things there with a grain of salt though. They told me that the silver tank battle badge my uncle who served in WWII gave me as a child was a fake.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would never state that they are infallible, but I've yet to come across a better resource of its type.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#6]
That same death head emblem was used on the collar.  So, cap pin or collar emblem?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That same death head emblem was used on the collar.  So, cap pin or collar emblem?
View Quote
Not really.......Totenkopfverbände members used an embroidered skull on their collar tabs.....and panzertruppen used the "danziger" style skull on their collars....

The proper skull for SS caps was made in numerous patterns, out of numerous materials, and by a host of different makers. About 75% of anything SS related that is coming from eastern Europe (Poland especially) is an outright fake....

At warrelics.eu there is an entire forum dedicated to nothing but SS cap insignia.....might want to check it out

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-metal-cap-insignia-forum/
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Verification can be complicated.
A guyI know bought a tutenkoffen (sorry for the spelling error) belt buckle.
It was made of aluminum, looked like it was made off a 3rd generation mold.
We thought it was an obvious fake, but upon research, some were made of aluminum late in the war.
So why would someone go to the effort of making a fake that looked like a fake?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top