Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 10:04:15 PM EDT
Wasn't sure where else to put this - so ill try it here.  If there is a better place, let me know.

History:  Found this in a creek bed that has recently gone dry close to my parents farm (it's never been dry in mine or my Dad's memory).  It was in the bend of the creek where I remember the water running/rolling along pretty good.  

It "looks" old, but I have no idea.  Parts look too good to be true, other things (tool marks, looks like) make me think it's hand-made/primitive.

I'm now convinced that it's either really old - or a complete fake.  Nothing in-between .  It has some imperfections, but it also extremely smooth (one of the red flags to me), but I have no idea how long it's been in that creek bed.  I have no idea what type stone it is.

But, I have no idea - have I mentioned that?!  Any input that the hive can lay down?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some how to vids on Youtube if you want to make a copy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are some how to vids on Youtube if you want to make a copy.
View Quote
You think it's fake?

I seriously have no idea
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
There are tons of fake artifacts out there.

I'm not skilled enough to tell the difference.

What are the odds that someone put a fake in your creek?

If it is real, it is not all that old in terms of early humans in North America.

Arrowheadology forums would be a good place to ask.

If it is real (and I would guess that it is) it is a nice find and fairly rare in that condition.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool find, but you do realize the Indians were in the Stone Age until about 1964.    It doesn't have to be old.   Could be just a hundred years or so.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool find, but you do realize the Indians were in the Stone Age until about 1964.    It doesn't have to be old.   Could be just a hundred years or so.
View Quote
And I'm perfectly fine with that.  I'm not looking to go on Antique Road Show or retire because the Smithsonian pays me 7-figures for it.  Just wondering if anyone had any insight.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:44:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Its smooth because a river bend was beating it up for the last however long your dad remembers back.  
I would bet its an axe head.  A branch would be split and the head would be put in the split at the grove.  Then you tie the handle at both sides of the head to make sure it stays put and the wood doesn't crack further down.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
You found a very nice grooved stone ax.  It probably dates to the Archaic period.

Google will help with these.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool find! . Pre-wyteman era.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Axehead....very cool find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top