Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 5:24:46 PM EDT
As an owner of Leica cameras, I belong to Leica Historical Society of America, and in their last couple of issues of the Viewfinder, they discussed the program by Leica to produce night infra red sights for German armored vehicles. Lots of good photos, too. Pretty high tech stuff for the time.  I believe you can go to their web site and search for the 3rd and 4th quarter, 2002 issues to read this, if you are interested.
John
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Was this the Vampire system?  there was also a system mounted to Panther tanks at the very end of the war as well.  I know nothing about it, is this something they made as well.

Leica is really good stuff.  Wish I could aford it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You CAN afford it if you do a little shopping.
For instance, the Leicaflex SL, an slr produced in the early '70s.

I will have to go back and review the articles. The gear looked pretty advanced for the time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll take a look at that.  I have heard the M3 is a great camera as well.

As for the German stuff, it was very advanced for its time.  I'ts a damn good thing they lost when they did.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
You can find nice Leicaflex SL's in clean 'user' condition - no problems, and very minor cosmetic blemishes - in the $375 to $450 range, maybe even less. For a lens, a 2 cam 50mm Summicron in very clean shape for $200. That's with no glass problems or malfuntions.
These are very excellent cameras. A decent user M3 body will got for $700 to $850. A clean 50mm Summicron M lens will start at $400.
If you are interested, take a look at Keh Cameras on the web. His ratings are very conservative.
AGAIN I digress!!! I promise - no more
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top