Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2012 10:18:34 AM EDT
How many of you remember the TV show combat, Lets hear your thoughts on the show.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Little John was bad with that BAR.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Grew up when it was on TV. Played Army with the neighbors because of it. Watch it every time I wake up at 3AM to pee and it is on MEtv.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
of course   i love it
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Loved that one too.  I remember the guest stars always got to be killed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Little John was bad with that BAR.

I think Kirby was the BAR man.
My favorite show when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I always wanted Vic Morrow's Thompson. The last season of the show was broadcast in color. 1965 IIRC. I got the itch for a 1911 ( the Lt. carried a WW1 1911). Oh, don't forget Voyage To The Bottom of Sea. Just about had a high speed come a part when they broke the arms out of the locker to do battle when that weeks' monster. Hey, I said I'm old.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have to remember it...It's on cable now...  
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#8]
"Combat"

Especially liked watching the show with late Uncle cause he'd sometimes talk about his WWII experiences.

"The guy should be dead" he'd often say whenever there was a close artillery burst.

He'd always smile when Lt. Hanley came on.  I never figured out why till much later - his Colonel was named Hanley too.  

"Suicide" Hanley was his nickname cause he'd always go forward to check on the line companies - often taking my Uncle and his telephone wire section with him.  Colonel was considered "good luck" cause no one accompanying him was ever hit - not for lack of the Germans trying - artillery and MG fire.  

Oh - and Saunders' "deadly" Thompson - he must have killed half the Wehrmacht with that thing.

Hanley, Saunders, Kirby, Caje, Little John, the young kid(can't remember name) - what other characters?

YMMV

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#9]
there was an episode where sgt saunders squad was left alone w/ squad wiped out i think... he survived but with burned hands. he was walking back to the lines and was starving. he came up on an apple tree with apples hanging just out of reach, and he just sat there and stared until one fell off and he was able to eat... that spectre of the apples just out of reach haunted me as a young man....
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#10]
is this retro AR related??
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Loved that show.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
there was an episode where sgt saunders squad was left alone w/ squad wiped out i think... he survived but with burned hands. he was walking back to the lines and was starving. he came up on an apple tree with apples hanging just out of reach, and he just sat there and stared until one fell off and he was able to eat... that spectre of the apples just out of reach haunted me as a young man....

Wow!  I remember that show too.  The look on his face as he stared at the apples was almost too much to watch - felt like reaching in and picking an apple for him.

Remember Vic Morrow's death in the Twilight Zone movie?  Really tragic.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Vic_Morrow?oo=0

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#13]
That show is part of reason for my love of Thompsons and BARs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Remember it well, watched it when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Check mate king 2 this is white rook over
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I used mess around on the radio in Iraq saying just that
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:45:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Too funny. I still like to watch those shows.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I grew up on "COMBAT!" reruns too. That was the first time I ever saw a G-43. And I learned that Vic Morrow would complain about how heavy the Thompson was, so the prop department constructed a light-weight wooden copy for him to carry in some of the non-firing scenes. It is visible in quite a few episodes. I also remember the episode with actor James Caan playing a nasty Wehrmacht NCO carrying a MP-40 mock-up build from a Reising M-50. Pretty bizaar looking. I remember seeing the same gun for sale in J. Curtis Earle's machinegun catalog back in the late 1970's.

The younger guy in the squad was named Billy Nelson.

Kirby was the BAR gunner, but he started out carrying a Garand. There was an episode devoted to him proving to Sarge that he was capable of handling the weapon.

Almost all the actors have passed on now. I think only Jack Hogan (Kirby) and Conlan Carter (Doc) are still alive.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks.  

I could not for the life of me remember the name of the young guy - "Billy".
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#20]
We grew up watching Combat!  Loved it as a child. As an adult, I noticed they always fought on the same village and that they fought among (California's) eucalyptus trees.

The Rat Patrol was fun too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I second that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 3:23:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I grew up on "COMBAT!" reruns too. That was the first time I ever saw a G-43. And I learned that Vic Morrow would complain about how heavy the Thompson was, so the prop department constructed a light-weight wooden copy for him to carry in some of the non-firing scenes. It is visible in quite a few episodes. I also remember the episode with actor James Caan playing a nasty Wehrmacht NCO carrying a MP-40 mock-up build from a Reising M-50. Pretty bizaar looking. I remember seeing the same gun for sale in J. Curtis Earle's machinegun catalog back in the late 1970's.

The younger guy in the squad was named Billy Nelson.

Kirby was the BAR gunner, but he started out carrying a Garand. There was an episode devoted to him proving to Sarge that he was capable of handling the weapon.

Almost all the actors have passed on now. I think only Jack Hogan (Kirby) and Conlan Carter (Doc) are still alive.

"Lt Hanley" Rick Jason committed suicide.

"Kirby" Jack Hogan is still alive.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That show is part of reason for my love of Thompsons and BARs.

+1

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Lets not forget one of my favorites, "The Silent Service". Loved watching that show with my Dad...... .
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Saunders was my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Loved watching Combat as a kid.
Also Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Loved watching Combat as a kid.
Also Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges.

I remembert them both.  Each a great series.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

How many of you remember the TV show combat, Lets hear your thoughts on the show.

Didn't Cage carry a BAR?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:29:20 AM EDT
[#29]
BAR man?  Was it Kirby?
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Loved Combat, still have one of the Mattel Combat Thompsons. + 1 on the Rat Patrol ! Don't forget Whirlybird !
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I remember Whirlybird too.  Damn, we're old.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2012 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did the same thing in the early 70's at Bragg.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And, what about Ripcord?  There was also a show called "The Lieutenant".  Peace time story of a Marine.  No idea who stared in that one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I did the same thing in the early 70's at Bragg.  

I can't count the number of times I heard that on a long boring night.  It was usally followed by someone, somewhere laughing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#35]
COMBAT! was a favorite show of mine along with The Gallant Men.
Combat was in France and TGM was Italy. Rat Patrol was a fan of that one too and The BlackSheep Squadron.
I have not watched a one since the mid 70s.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
"Combat"

Especially liked watching the show with late Uncle cause he'd sometimes talk about his WWII experiences.

"The guy should be dead" he'd often say whenever there was a close artillery burst.

He'd always smile when Lt. Hanley came on.  I never figured out why till much later - his Colonel was named Hanley too.  

"Suicide" Hanley was his nickname cause he'd always go forward to check on the line companies - often taking my Uncle and his telephone wire section with him.  Colonel was considered "good luck" cause no one accompanying him was ever hit - not for lack of the Germans trying - artillery and MG fire.  

Oh - and Saunders' "deadly" Thompson - he must have killed half the Wehrmacht with that thing.

Hanley, Saunders, Kirby, Caje, Little John, the young kid(can't remember name) - what other characters?

YMMV

I think you got them all except for one; Doc.  He wasn't in every episode.

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember, "Combat" pretty well.
I liked the episode, "The Duel" where Sgt. Saunders went mano a mano with a German panzer that was heading down a road toward a wounded G.I. who was pinned under a truck.  Saunders shot up the two German infantrymen trying to cover the damaged tank.  He tried stopping it by jamming a big tree branch between the road wheels, by shooting up a can of gasoline he placed on the back engine deck.

I also liked the two part episode where the squad went up against a couple of German pillboxes.  We learned lot in that two parter (season two, IIRC); that Caje was the squad's most accurate shot with a rifle, that Vic Morrow could direct.  Morrow wasn't on camera in that episode very much because he was the director for that two part episode.

I also remember, about twenty-five years ago, that there was one station that carried the show on consecutive nights.  It got funny watching the squad run around the same hill on that same hollywood back lot night after night.

A lot of actors, sixties and seventies regulars, appeared on "Combat"; Robert Duvall, James Whitmore, James Caan, Telly Savalas, Don Gordon, the list just goes on and on.  I can't remember them all.  Maybe, Skip Homeier?   Anyone remember some more?
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 2:51:06 PM EDT
[#38]
This thread needed pictures . . .

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 2:55:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And, what about Ripcord?  There was also a show called "The Lieutenant".  Peace time story of a Marine.  No idea who stared in that one.
Future Frank Poole and Mr. Spock:

Link Posted: 10/14/2012 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Dad watched it when I was a kid.

It wasn't exciting enough for me.

But, I was a kid, and it was on our one TV, and low and behold, I came to love it!
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We grew up watching Combat!  Loved it as a child. As an adult, I noticed they always fought on the same village and that they fought among (California's) eucalyptus trees.

The Rat Patrol was fun too.

Those were great shows!!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I liked the episode, "The Duel" where Sgt. Saunders went mano a mano with a German panzer that was heading down a road toward a wounded G.I. who was pinned under a truck.  Saunders shot up the two German infantrymen trying to cover the damaged tank.  He tried stopping it by jamming a big tree branch between the road wheels, by shooting up a can of gasoline he placed on the back engine deck.

I also liked the two part episode where the squad went up against a couple of German pillboxes.  We learned lot in that two parter (season two, IIRC); that Caje was the squad's most accurate shot with a rifle, that Vic Morrow could direct.  Morrow wasn't on camera in that episode very much because he was the director for that two part episode.

I also remember, about twenty-five years ago, that there was one station that carried the show on consecutive nights.  It got funny watching the squad run around the same hill on that same hollywood back lot night after night.

A lot of actors, sixties and seventies regulars, appeared on "Combat"; Robert Duvall, James Whitmore, James Caan, Telly Savalas, Don Gordon, the list just goes on and on.  I can't remember them all.  Maybe, Skip Homeier?   Anyone remember some more?

Did anybody notice that in the pillbox episode that the germans were using an American machine gun instead of an MG42?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:28:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did anybody notice that in the pillbox episode that the germans were using an American machine gun instead of an MG42?

yeap.... a .50          Buit it was the early 60's..... before "farby" had been invented!  

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I was talking about Combat with my wife not long ago and telling her how much I liked it as a kid. Some time later, for no reason in particular, the show's theme song popped into my head. I had not heard it or thought of it in 40+ years, but I recalled it perfectly.

I took that as a cosmic message to rent the DVD's from my Netflix account.

I watched the first DVD (four episodes). First episode gave me the warm-and-fuzzies, second episode made me realize it was just 1960s television, third episode made me realize it did not stand the test of time, fourth episode made me fall asleep.

There are DVDs of all the show's seasons on Netflix, but I won't be renting anymore. It's a nice nostalgia trip in small doses, though.

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow thanks for starting this thread as it sure does bring back some great memories.
My uncle was one of the directors for Combat and when I was 8 years old we spent the summer out in Calif. and we stayed with my aunt and uncle (the same uncle that was working on Combat at that time).
I remember going to watch them film the show at Franklin Canyon in the Hollywood Hills and the MGM backlot. My cousin and I got to be regulars hanging around the set and the guys would let us go and pick up spend blank brass after a scene when there was some shooting.
In fact I remember Vic Morrow letting me wear his helmet and hold the Thompson.
I have pictures somewhere but I haven't seen them in years.
BTW here is a little secret, during the black and white days they used Hersheys chocolate syrup brushed on the uniforms to simulate fresh blood.

http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/main.html
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I have complete collection on DVD.  Can't get theme song out of my head....
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Loved those shows..Combat. started off with that checker explosion on the screen didnt it?
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#48]
My uncle worked on the show and after the show ended, he was presented with a M1A1 Thompson from the rental company complete with IRS paperwork.

This was California in the 60's and sadly a fucken scum lawyer turned it into LAPD despite the legal paperwork.

The asshole called Cali DOJ and not Federal DOJ ATF...

cali doj assholes said it is illegal and need to turn in.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#49]
I think most if not all episodes are on Youtube.

Link Posted: 6/15/2013 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#50]
My dad recently turned my on to this show. Its on really late on regular TV. I kinda like it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top