Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2002 10:01:20 AM EDT
I’m sure that got your attention [:)]

Ok, I have been playing around with this one for about two months now.  There is a penal code in SB23 that would allow for the exemption of Post-Ban AR15 style rifles, imported semi automatic rifles like H&K’s USC45/SL8-1 and others.  Hears the penal code.

The following is an excerpt of Chapter 2.3 Assault Weapons control act.  I have highlighted key points to note.  

[b]CHAPTER. 2.3. ROBERTI-ROOS ASSAULT WEAPONS CONTROL ACT OF 1989.[/b]
[b]12275.[/b] This chapter shall be known as the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.
[b]12275.5[/b] …It is the intent of the Legislature in enacting this chapter to [b]place restrictions[/b] on the use of assault weapons and to [b]establish a registration and permit procedure[/b] for their lawful sale and possession. [b]It is not, however, the intent of the Legislature by this chapter to place restrictions on the use of those weapons which are primarily designed and intended for hunting, target practice, or other legitimate sports or recreational activities.[/b]

To the best of my understanding there have been no challenges to SB23 for the exemption of a sporting purpose AR15 style rifle.  12275.5 will allow for the exemption of rifles that were intended for use by legitimate sports activates.  Because it allows for exemptions of weapons, that means that some sporting purpose weapons do indeed fall under the classification of assault weapon as defined by this chapter.  Also, this chapter cannot be used to identify a sporting purpose weapon.  I’m going to call the major manufactures and see if I can have them send me a letter explaining how there products were primarily designed for civilian use.  Between the citizens of California and the manufactures I think we can make some headway on this.  I’ll be making phone calls Monday.  Support from our firearms community would probably help as well, so I’ll keep ya posted.

The only problem that I can see is that this section dose causes conflict with SB23’s abilities to identify assault weapons.  But lets be serious here, Post-Ban AR15’s are not intended for use by law enforcement or military, their only practical market are citizens.  Thus giving use the power to argue that they were designed and intended for legitimate sporting purpose use.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I can see your point.  CMP/DCM competition rifles could be categorized as competition/sporting arms, as they are specifically designed for competition.  Same goes for space guns, etc...
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top