Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2002 10:47:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2002 1:16:41 AM EDT by sulaco]
Do you have to permanently attach a muzzle brake for the upper to be post-ban legal? If so, how hard is it to do that? Thanks - Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:04:01 PM EDT
Why would you want to break your muzzle? If you don't like it, you can saw it off. As long as you break your muzzle at a point so that the barrel is still at least 16" long, it should still be legal.z
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2002 11:45:07 PM EDT by Vinnie]
Sulaco, same thing happened to me and my first post. It's "brake" not "break." Now, as to your question. You can't have a threaded barrel that will support a Flash Suppressor, so; 1) You have your brake Pinned and welded "permanently" on or; 2) you can use set screw on a crowned (no threads) muzzle or; 3) you use a thread that a flash suppressor cannot be used with. I forget which company does this, but it's out there. As far as how hard it is to do? Have a qualified gunsmith pin and weld the brake on (if you go that route). If you screw up the muzzle you'll make the rifle very inaccurate. editd to add: If your barrel is less than 16 inches long, then Yes, it must be permanantly affixed (pinned and welded) so that your barrel is at least 16 inches long.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 3:41:16 AM EDT
If you want to install a Muzzle Brake the best way (ATF Legal) is to use 56% silver solder paste. Apply it to the threads, index the muzzle brake on the barrel, use MAPP Gas torch to bring to a dull red glow and allow the solder to melt. I've done this with 3 different FAL's and it works great. http://sra-solder.com Parts number: STL-1205-655, Brazing Paste. Hope this helps out. Aif
Top Top