Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2001 6:19:35 PM EDT
Hopefully someone can refresh my memory, but what is / is not allowed on a post-ban weapon, regarding the combination of options/accessories.  I know that you can't have a bayonet lug, a collapsable stock or flashhider, but I thought you were allowed to have a pistol grip and high capacity mag(with the exception of a few states CA, NJ and MA).  If I wanted to build an AR-15 on a post-ban receiver, I'm wanting to clarify if it would be able to use high cap mag and a standard pistol grip?  Would I really need a thumbhole stock and a 5 or 10 round magazine.  I believe this to be true, but I was told buy a guy at a gun shop recently that you aren't allowed to use more than a 10 round magazine in a post-ban.  I still see guns sold from manufacturers and importers that have high capacity mags.  Can someone please clear-up my dilirium?
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Gloftoe, thanks for the reinforcement.  I figured that the guy in the gunshop was/is an idiot.  I thought that the hi cap mags and pistol grip were kosher, except for in CA, NJ and MA.  I found a great parts kit fairly cheap and didn't want to invest the money if all I could use were 10 round mags and a thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The law is that any semi auto that can accept a magazine must not have 2 of the following, bayo lug, threads than can accept a flash hider on the barrel, tele stock, and a pistol grip. Most AR's can accept magazines, ergo can't have 2 of the about. NOW, if you do away with the pistol grip( ie thumb hole stock) then you can put a flash suppressor.  Also I saw an ad for "Cali legal" AR's thet don't accept magazines anymore, they have a fixed 10 round mag.  Mag capacity differs from state to state, county to county. ie, NYC no hi cap mags, but Long Island (just accorss the bridge/tunnel) they are still allowed. Then again you can't even have an AR in NYC.

Beware, I've heard that Thumbhole stocks may not satisfy BATF in regards to Pistol grips.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Under the 1989 Import Ban, an imported rifle with a thumbhole stock is not considered to have a pistol grip.  The Import Ban does not affect AR15s, which are manufactured domestically.

Under the 1994 Krime Bill (which affects both domestic and imported semi-autos), a thumbhole stock is considered to "enclose a pistol grip", and still counts as an evil item.

-Troy
View Quote

Besides that, they are ugly as sin too [:D]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
ZM Weapons and www.gogogadgets.net both have pistol-grip replacements with BATF approval, but these only count for Federal laws. The PRK has banned ARs and AKs by name, so features don't matter.

-Troy

So if I put this pistol-grip replacement on my Postban AR, can I have a collapsable stock?  Also, does the thing work?  

Mike
[+]:D]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#11]
[img]www.gogogadgets.net/misc_r6_c1.jpg[/img]

Yep, that sure is ugly!  I'd rathe live without a flash hider and telescoping stock.

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top