Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2001 12:20:51 PM EDT
[url]http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/99/99-10331-cr0.htm[/url]

Looks like generally good news to me.  The court agrees that 2A guarantees the INDIVIDUAL (not Collective) RKBA.

However, Emerson lost his 2A and 5A arguments.

Bottom line:  "REVERSED and REMANDED"

I eagerly await legal scholars' analyses.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Fixed link:
[url]www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/99/99-10331-cr0.htm[/url]

Your first ] was reversed.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry about that, and thanks.  I was too stoked to post, and haven't even gotten home to my 'fridge full o' beer. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m not a legal scholar, but I am an attorney who has studied this issue. This case is huge for two reasons:

1) The Fifth Circuit has now created a definite split between the other Circuits. This means that the U.S. Supreme Court now has a reason to hear this case and resolve the split among the Circuits. With everything happening in the country lately, now may be a good time to have the Supreme Court hear the case. The Fifth Circuit has unequivocally held for an individual right. Furthermore, it supported it with viable arguments, caselaw and historical support.

2) Ruling against Emerson on the 2nd amendment may be brilliant. If they had ruled for him, then only the government could appeal the decision to the Supreme Court. Lets face it, Emerson himself is inconsequential to this entire effort. He is simply the vehicle to get this issue through the courts. Ruling against him allows him (really the NRA, etc.) to also appeal this case to the Supreme Court. Remember, the goal here is to get the Supreme Court to rule on this issue as an individual right, and then all of the other Circuits must follow.

Personally, I think that the Supreme Court will have a difficult time supporting the collective rights approach and will have to find an individual right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top