Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2001 8:48:00 PM EDT
I have a SKS that accepts AK mags(detachable of course) ,no bayonet lug or flash hider. Is it legal to put a folding stock on it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Only if the SKS in question is pre-89 import ban.  If it's post-89, then if the magazine were fixed instead of removable (and not in California), the folding stock would be legal if enough US parts were installed for it to qualify as 'domestic' instead of 'imported'.

As imported rifles (unless equipped with sufficient US-made parts content), that rifle must not only abide by the provisions of the 94 "assault weapon" ban, if applicable, but with the 1989 bush administration ban on imported rifles with non-sporting features.

If it's pre-89, it can have anything you like.
If it's pre-94, but post-89, it needs US parts to be configured with a pistol grip or folding stock or bayonet.
If it's post-94 (as most SKS's are), then it can't have the folding stock without both US parts and a fixed magazine.

There may be other restrictions applicable to imported rifles which apply here, as well.  It's outright illegal in california, with the detachable magazine, unless registered, and had to have been registered in the original Roberti-Roos registration period in 1989, I believe.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
No you may not put a folding stock on it now.  It would be a violation of 18 USC section 922(v).  This law makes it illegal to possess, transfer, or manufacture a semiauto assault rifle.  By adding a folding stock to your SKS that accepts AK mags you will now be in possession of a post ban semiauto assault rifle.  

There is a grandfather clause for assault rifles that where legal owned on 09-13-94, but from the info you gave us this rifle arguably was not one on that date.
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2001 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#4]
the chinese imported AKs with detachable mags before '89 (they were banned in kalif RR89 law), later on the chinese imported the SKS-d models which had detach mag and thumbhole stock (the kind banned a year or 2 ago in kalif, as being a violation of RR89)
Link Posted: 9/20/2001 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.simonov.net/law.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If the folding stock has a pistol grip then NO.

You can have 1 of the following:

1) Pistol Grip
2) Folding Stock
3) Bayonet Lug
4) Threaded Muzzle
5) Flash Supressor

Mine has a bayonet lug so I cannot add more evil features. I don't know much about the '89 ban, though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I just checked my serial number and my SKS was made in 1968. I wonder if there is any way to know if it was ever in a Banned Configuration so that it could be a Pre-Ban. Somehow I doubt it since it has matching numbers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
For imported weapons, the pertinent date is the date of importation (for the 94 AW ban, that is, as well as banned features under the 89 import ban).
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#10]
but if it has enought USA made parts it no longer falls into the 89 ban

for a sks it would be very hard to get the parts needed becouse i belive every SKS was imported
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And, yes, it doesn't matter when the gun was produced; it matters when it was IMPORTED.

-Troy
View Quote

What law or regulation are you referring too?

While I am at it would someone please post a copy of a federal law or regulation dealing with firearms that was implemented in 1989.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I have on my hands, a Chinese SKS which I know has been in the US longer than 15 years.  Making it, I assume, immune to both the '89 and '94 federal laws.  My question to you guys... Are there other underlying restrictions I am not seeing?

As it stands now, nothing has been done to it.

I would like to have the following "evil" features:

20" Spike Bayonet
30rnd magazine
Folding stock (With Handle)
Bi-Pod

I appreciate any and all responses.
[newbie]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, no Troy.  The rifle had to have been in a configuration currently banned to be exempt from the 94 AW ban, regardless of importation date - only assembled "Semi Auto Assault Weapons" or complete kits are grandfathered under the 94 AW ban.

If the SKS in question was imported before 1989, it's free to have the 'non sporting' features which the 89 ban forbade - namely the pistol grip or folding stock

If the weapon wasn't configured as a "SAW" prior to the 94 ban, though, it's not grandfatehred under that legislation regardless of importation or manufacture date.

A stock pre-89 SKS could basically only legally have the bayonet affixed, and if not altered to a detachable magazine, cannot now legally have a detachable mag and any other banned feature.

post-89 imports could not legally have the bayonet, or an aftermarket folding stock without US parts (difficult to find).

If a pre-89 import was configured with a detachable mag before 9/13/94, though, it's grandfathered under the 94 AW ban as well as being exempt from the 89 import ban (which banned the bayonet, pistol grip, etc for imported rifles).
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like I need to sit down with the laws, and some No-Doze.

[<]:)]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, seeing how we are already on the subject, I have a friend (and yes, it really isn't me) that owns an SKS.  It is a Chinese model and has a bayo lug on it.  He has since added a 30-round detachable maginzine.  The stock is still the origanal wooden style.  I highly doubt this rifle is preban.  Assuming it is not preban, is this rifle legal?  Or should he file down the bayo lug? Thanks.

-Matt
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There are no "Made in the USA" SKS parts, and you'd need a bunch of them to turn an SKS into a domestic weapon.
-Troy
View Quote

Hmm... there are:
USA stocks
USA handguards
USA gas pistons
USA mags with USA followersand floorplates

That's 5 parts right there... how many parts is the SKS actually made of...
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Actually, in my post "Pre-Ban SKS ??????". Which I can no longer find since it hasn't been posted on today, I listed some parts I found at:

[url]www.sksparts.com/sksparts.html[/url]

I have found USA:

Trigger Assemblies.(5 Parts)(Sear, Disconnector, Trigger, Housing, Hammer)
Gas Pistons/Tubes..(1 Part)
Stock Sets.........(3 Parts)(Buttstock, Pistol Grip, Handgaurd)
Magazines..........(3 Parts)(Floorplate, Body, Follower)

The SKS has 18 922(r) Parts:

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Mounting Block (Trunion)
(4) Bolt
(5) Bolt carrier
(6) Operating Rods
(US) Gas Piston
(US) Trigger
(US) Hammer
(US) Trigger Housing
(US) Sear
(US) Disconnector
(US) Buttstock
(US) Pistol Grip
(US) Handgaurds
(US) Magazine (3 Parts)

I understand they exist, but have never seen a USA Made Trunion or Operating Rod (Short Gas Piston).

If you add a Muzzle Attachment or Barrel Extension you are adding a part or if both 2 parts.

BTW, American Mags. are great. I use them exclusively.

P.S. Troy "Stood Corrected" in his own words on my post.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
igotdoo=[argue]=TroyT..[size=6] DiD you say 'USA' mags?[;)] I hear they suck![/size=6][stick]
View Quote

USA brand mags DO SUCK.

I was just pointing out that they are available.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I have three USA mags for my "pre ban" SKS and I've never had a problem with any of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top