Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2001 6:07:06 PM EDT
I was looking at the pictures of the different bolt carriers on this site,and discovered that my 80"s vintage bolt carrier ,has the small tail end that will not trip an auto sear,but has the large amount of metal under the bolt like a M16 carrier,and upon checking the diameter of the firing pin ,i found out that it is a M16 firing pin.
Did Olympic just make one type of carrier,and mill of the end to make them into AR15 carriers?
Does anyone know the legalities of this?
Doesn"t the law state that you can't have any M16 parts parts in a AR15 [IE firing pin]
Will putting in an AR15 firing pin make it legal
I would hate to get busted cause Olympic Arms screwed up again.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It's fine as long as it's been milled or ground back so as not to trip a factory auto sear.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It's legal. Also those are the best carriers to have IMO because they won't hook the hammer and cause a malf, and are heavier and function more like they are designed. Not to say chopped up AR15 carriers don't work, but it's a superstitious/pet peeve type of thing. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
OOPS, forgot to add that the firing pin is fine too. Only difference is the wide collar. When they cut back that ramp area, they found out the collar was too big and caught on the hammer very easily and jammed everything up. So, they trimmed the collar down and voila. I wouldn't use that firing pin in a current standard AR15 carrier, but it is actually how the firing pin is supposed to be on that type of weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top