Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2017 2:08:28 PM EDT
So I remember when you couldn't buy a handgun from an out of state dealer without getting it shipped to one in your state. I had thought that changed recently but all of my Googling turns up is a federal court case from 2015 striking down the ban on out of state in person purchases from a dealer and a bunch of stuff from years prior to that saying it's not allowed.  What IS the current rule?  I'm considering goind to a bordering state to buy a .22 pistol so I can physically inspect it before I buy.  Legal age, permit honored and all that, covered.  What's... uh the deal?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Dealer has to send it to a dealer in your home state. Nothing has changed recently with regards to interstate handgun sales.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes you can go to the other state to physically inspect it, and even to buy it - but the out-of-state dealer will need to ship it to an FFL in your home state for you to take final delivery.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
So this doesn't say what I read, or has changed since then. Court case referenced
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]
There was talk of doing away with that, all talk still no action.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So this doesn't say what I read, or has changed since then. Court case referenced
View Quote
The government is appealing to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, and likely has a preliminary stay preventing the lower ruling from taking effect until it's been heard and affirmed. You can check the 5th's docket to see where things stand on that case, but there's been no change to procedures issued by the ATF to date.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top