Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 7:36:48 PM EDT
Me and a few freinds are planning to spend a weekend in the wilderness in a couple of weeks-

I would like to know if:
A: Is it legal to carry a rifle with you while camping/hiking (For protection mostly[bears])?
B: Is it legal to do some plinking while in the woods? (IE: on a hill-side, for safety reasons)?

Many thanks to any informed replies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends where.  On New York State land (e.g., Catskill forest preserve), firearms are  typically banned.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#2]
EDIT: What lands allow one to bring in a firearm? Any help?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#3]
This is one place you can contact for additional information.

[url=http://www.dec.state.ny.us/]NYS DEC[/url]

Your best bet is either private land or going to Pennsylvania (not New Jersey).  Good luck.

Edited to add:  Bears are not a threat anywhere in NYS.  Your odds of seeing one are near zero.  Just take sensible precauations with your food.  People are your greatest threat as all sorts of undesirables tend to congregate in our state forests.  I once ran across some unpleasant marijuana growers who were armed (and I wasn't).
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I called the DEC Divison Headquarters, some areas have special regulations, you can call the DEC regional office in the area you want to hike/camp to make sure. DEC campgrounds are a different matter (no firearms except during hunting season), but for state forest property if you have a valid NYS pistol permit you can carry a handgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top