Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 5:48:17 PM EDT
hypothetically say you are pulled over and the police officer asks do you have any weapons on you or in your vehicle?

What should the answer be in both situations?

1) you are carrying your licensed pistol on you

2) you have a rifle in the trunk of your car

Can you be justified to say no in both situations?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually have a Gerber Gator on me. i put it in the side pocket on my trucks door when I get pulled over. I would not fess up to it if I was asked.

I have never been in possession of a firearm during a traffic stop.

With regards to guns: if I have it legally, yes officer, its in my Delta box. No officer, you may not see it.

If I have it with me against the law(Im a minor, so pistols, rifles without a hunting license, etc.): I dont like guns sir.

My advice, if you are carrying, give your permit to the officer when he approaches the car.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been stopped twice w/ firearms in the vehicle and and only once did the officer ask if I had a weapon in the car. I told him I had a pistol. He asked where it was and asked to see my permit. I told him it was on my hip and showed him my permit. He told me it better stay there. To make a long story short, if you got a firearm and they ask, tell them. They are only looking out for there own safety.  
I think you have to tell them in CT. Would not suprise me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#4]
If he asks in CT you have to tell him, but you dont have to volunteer it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#5]
"officer...i have my hands and a keen mind..all three are lethal weapons" [;D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't believe you can legally say NO to either situation.  You may not have to answer but I think lying would get you in hot water.

However I would answer both questions with NOT ON MY PERSON.  However it would be quite obvious to any LEO that there is a weapon in the car seeing as my rifle case doesn't fit in the trunk.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
in Arizona i must tell them but only MUST if they ask.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out www.packing.org (too lazy to post link) for information on your state. Included there is info about your obligation (of lack thereof) to inform LE of your weapon. It also mentions what states have friendly "passing through" laws. When in doubt CALMLY inform the officer. After all if you don't & the officer detects the bulge, you might have a panic. Also in many (not all) states with CCWs the law enforcement is often pretty cool and helpful.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
PS for situation #2 in unfriendly states such as OH, you gauge the cop. If the officer is professional and courteous, be couterous and helpful yourself. If the officer is an ass you tell the officer #1. "None of your fucking business" #2. "No you WILL NOT search my car!". This is a good way to ruin your day by wasting it on the roadside, but if your day is already ruined for having been pulled over it's a nice way to ruin the discourteous officer's day too as you can be abusive while you wait for the K9 unit to sniff your car. (Please don't do this to professional & courteous officers when it's your fault you were pulled over)
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't have to answer any questions about what's in your trunk in any State unless the Officer can show "just cause." If you are packing with a permit and the officer asks YOU'D BETTER SAY YES! Yore in a heap o' trubble if'n ya don't.

Of course you read the officer and if you don't have anything to hide answer in what way is best for your situation.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top