Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 7:31:42 PM EDT
I'm planning on the purchase of a pair of 80% lowers. Could someone tell me what engravng is required and any I might want to add to ID function etc.? These are NOT to be built as SBR's, all will be of at least minimum legal BBL length. Also any preference as to the type of engraving being done, laser, machine cut, etc? TIA
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only manufacturers (Title 1 & 2) and Title 2 makers Re required to mark the firearms the manufacture/make.  Since you don't fit into those categories, you're not required to engrave anything.  You can if you so desire, and ATF does recommend at least a serial number to identify the gun in case of loss or theft.
View Quote

I thought that a serial number is required if it is ever sold or given to another person too. If that is incorrect I'm sure that someone will catch it here soon...

View Quote

No, there is no requirement for a serial number on a home made Title I firearm, ever.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I thought the excise tax had to be paid if the gun is ever sold, form filled out & sent in to BATFE, isn't there a S/N required @ that point?
View Quote

Do you pay the excise tax when you conduct a private sale of any other Title I firearm?  Do you fill out any forms and send them to the ATF?

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the excise tax had to be paid if the gun is ever sold, form filled out & sent in to BATFE, isn't there a S/N required @ that point?
View Quote

Do you pay the excise tax when you conduct a private sale of any other Title I firearm?  Do you fill out any forms and send them to the ATF?
View Quote

No, b/c the manufacturer or importer of my guns already paid the excise tax.  Thought the excise tax on the market value of the firearm had to be paid if the gun was transferred to someone other than the maker.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:35:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Only manufacturers (Title 1 & 2) and Title 2 makers Re required to mark the firearms the manufacture/make.  Since you don't fit into those categories, you're not required to engrave anything.  You can if you so desire, and ATF does recommend at least a serial number to identify the gun in case of loss or theft.
View Quote

I thought that a serial number is required if it is ever sold or given to another person too. If that is incorrect I'm sure that someone will catch it here soon...

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

In that case, where the sale is FTF with an individual a serial number is suggested but not required, but a FFL would need one to log it in for sale or transfer...

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing required by federal law.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Civilian Use Only is popular.  So is Rifle: Plasma, 40W.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:17:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, b/c the manufacturer or importer of my guns already paid the excise tax.  Thought the excise tax on the market value of the firearm had to be paid if the gun was transferred to someone other than the maker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, don't really know for sure.  If I had to guess, I'd say you probably technically do have to, but then ATF tries to hit you with unlicensed manufacturing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread is non-chronological.  I seem to remember a case, probably 15 years ago or more, in Minnesota or some such frozen place, where a young fella got nailed for making rifles w/o a license.  I imagine it's much more difficult to charge you for manufacturing if every once in a while you pay the tax on a lower you give to a friend or family member.

Non chronological threads
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In that case, where the sale is FTF with an individual a serial number is suggested but not required, but a FFL would need one to log it in for sale or transfer...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFLS do not need SNs to log in or sell Title I firearms.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:48:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember that if you mill-out a 80% lower with fire controls pins holes  into a full function ar15 lower that you can't sell it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remember that if you mill-out a 80% lower with fire controls pins holes  into a full function ar15 lower that you can't sell it.
View Quote

That would be incorrect.  You cannot make it with the intent to sell it.  That doesn't mean that you can't ever sell it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread is non-chronological.  I seem to remember a case, probably 15 years ago or more, in Minnesota or some such frozen place, where a young fella got nailed for making rifles w/o a license.  I imagine it's much more difficult to charge you for manufacturing if every once in a while you pay the tax on a lower you give to a friend or family member.

Non chronological threads
View Quote

There is no mechanism for someone who does not hold a manufacturer's license to remit FAET.  Even licensed manufacturers don't have to pay it if they make less than 50 firearms per year.

There is no FEDERAL requirement for a non-manufacturer to mark anything on a Title I firearm; IIRC some states like CA have their own rules.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  There is no mechanism for someone who does not hold a manufacturer's license to remit FAET.  Even licensed manufacturers don't have to pay it if they make less than 50 firearms per year.

There is no FEDERAL requirement for a non-manufacturer to mark anything on a Title I firearm; IIRC some states like CA have their own rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:  There is no mechanism for someone who does not hold a manufacturer's license to remit FAET.  Even licensed manufacturers don't have to pay it if they make less than 50 firearms per year.

That would not seem to be the case:

http://www.ttb.gov/forms/f530026.pdf

• You must file a one-time or occasional return if you owe tax but are not engaged in the FAET business.

But S/Ns are not noted on the form, so it wouldn't seem that you'd have to mark a S/N to sell something you made.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But S/Ns are not noted on the form, so it wouldn't seem that you'd have to mark a S/N to sell something you made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

• You must file a one-time or occasional return if you owe tax but are not engaged in the FAET business.

My bad, the same form is used for a non-licensee to pay FAET on an imported firearm.  OP was asking about manufactured firearms, hence my response.

Either way OP still doesn't need to engrave anything on his firearm, he doesn't have to pay FAET on it, and he can sell it, gift it, trade it, leave it to his heirs, etc. if he wishes.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Individuals can import firearms?  Thought that went away?

If OP gives away, sells, or trades the firearm he made, only then does he need to pay FAET on it.  Don't know the rules for his heirs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nope, ATF Form 6.

If OP gives away, sells, or trades the firearm he made, only then does he need to pay FAET on it.  Don't know the rules for his heirs.

Cite, please.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope, ATF Form 6.

Cite, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, ATF Form 6.

Cite, please.

Ah, changed in our favor in 2005 - my mistake:

http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faet-faqs.shtml

As of October 1, 2005, any pistol, revolver, or firearm that was manufactured, produced or imported by a person who manufactures, produces or imports less than an aggregate of 50 such articles during the calendar year is now exempt from the tax.

Last reviewed/updated 05/26/2010
Top Top