Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2002 2:15:29 AM EDT
This is just something I have been curious about lately.  I want to get one of those semi auto reproduction Tommy guns... but they just look stupid with that 10 foot barrel on them.. so I'd like to put a barrel that is the size of the original Tommys on it.  I'd also like to have an AR with an 11.5 inch barrel.

Soo.. the question.  Can post ban rifles be registered as SBR's?  I would imagine I would have to do it thru a class 3 dealer?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:34:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure they can.

They just have to keep their post-ban features, which is a mute point with a Thompson, since no CAR stock or bayo-lug is involved and the Cutt's compensator is a muzzle-bake.

You don't need a Class III dealer (actually it would be a Class 2 - like Dave Hineline).

Just submit a BATF Form 1 (with finger-print cards, photo, CLEO signature, $200 check) and wait 90+ days for approval.

You can then (not before) get an 11" Tommy SMG barrel for it. I don't know if you would be able to install it yourself or have a gunsmith do it.

Go over to [url]www.machinegunbooks.com[/url]. They have a TSMG board and I'm sure this has been asked before over there.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been wondering that myself.  Anybody know of a dealer in NOVA that can assist?
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 4:32:10 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.machinegunbooks.com/cgibin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=1&topic=1358[/url]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Dskeet, do the Form-1 yourself for each firearm as drf said, no C2 or C3 needed---[url]www.titleii.com/pdf/NewF1.pdf[/url], and 1 of these--[url]www.titleii.com/pdf/5330-20.pdf[/url]. You can get the print cards for ATF material Distribution.

The AR is a simple swap of the upper, but the Thompson, look for a fella that posts on Subguns.com NFA Discussion as "T&S Manufacturing", he been doing Tommy gun from raw casting. His work looks good on his page.

Remember, the post-ban will still look like and follow post-ban rules, just shorter.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok , cool.  I was hoping it would be simple like that.

Thanks for the info everyone [8D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: Anybody know of a dealer in NOVA that can assist?
View Quote

I'd recommend John Brown at Battlefield Sports in Chantilly if you're looking for a C3 dealer in NoVA.  (703) 263-7676 or [email protected]

FWIW, the subguns.com recommended list of C2/C3 dealers nationwide is available at http://www.subguns.com/c2c3/c2c3.htm.  If you're new to C3 firearms, getting to know dealers on this list who are in your area is a good place to start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top