Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2002 3:38:31 AM EDT
It has been proffered by a few on this site that AL has open carry, ostensibly via "omission".  AL is listed on Packing.org as an open carry state, and I have been told by various LEO that it is, in fact, legal to openly carry my pistol.  However, a brief tour of our legislative site produces this code:
Section 13A-11-52
Carrying pistol on premises not his own; who may carry pistol.
Except as otherwise provided in this article, no person shall carry a pistol about his person on premises not his own or under his control; but this section shall not apply to any sheriff or his deputy or police officer of an incorporated town or city in the lawful discharge of the duties of his office, or to United States marshal or his deputies, rural free delivery mail carriers in the discharge of their duties as such, bonded constables in the discharge of their duties as such, conductors, railway mail clerks and express messengers in the discharge of their duties.

(Acts 1919, No. 204, p. 196; Code 1923, §3487; Code 1940, T. 14, §163; Code 1975, §13-6-122.)
View Quote

I have written our current AG for clarification of this issue, but I would like some of your fine minds to offer your opinion and understanding of the afore quoted code, as to me, this code seems to indicate that open carry *IS NOT* legal to do, contrary to other information.  Discuss!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top