Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2002 1:19:39 PM EDT
I was bored at work yesterday, so I decided to work on an M16 bolt carrier that I had sitting in my toolbox. I want to use this carrier as a spare for my Ar15's. I removed with a surface grinder, the rear part of the carrier that engages the auto sear. My question is this, do I need to unshroud the firing pin or can I leave it just as it is? Is this a legal requirement or is it just a safety feature? [img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jburgan3/Carrier1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jburgan3/carrier2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Safety only.

Unless the bolt carrier can readily convert your AR to FA (it can't), then there is nothing illegal about it's placement in your rifle.  Especially given your mods.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Very clean lines. You did that by hand? Ever try a 80% receiver? I need to find some friends close by that's very good with this sort a thing.

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Safety only.

Unless the bolt carrier can readily convert your AR to FA (it can't), then there is nothing illegal about it's placement in your rifle.  Especially given your mods.
View Quote

Thanks Steve, that is what I thought, but you can never be too sure.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Very clean lines. You did that by hand? Ever try a 80% receiver? I need to find some friends close by that's very good with this sort a thing.

View Quote

Thanks, I removed the material on a surface grinder with the carrier bolted onto a 1-2-3 block.

I have thought about doing an 80% receiver, but I haven't gotten around to it. I am far from being a real machinist/toolmaker,(actually I am a professional spring maker) but I work with some really talented people that are willing to help me along the way with some of the trickier parts..... like the magwell. One of these days.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#5]
you better rethink that any m16 part in a non nfa gun is considered an illegal gun.The bolt alone makes it a machine gun by law.Check batf on this i have
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
you better rethink that any m16 part in a non nfa gun is considered an illegal gun.The bolt alone makes it a machine gun by law.Check batf on this i have
View Quote

The bolt alone DOES NOT make it a machine gun, by law (meaning clear and unambigous statutory language).  

And I have checked the batf on this, and you are mistaken.

No flame, just wanted my remarks to be clear (just like the federal code section on this issue is).

For more, see this [URL]ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=104568[/URL]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

But the offending portion of the carrier has been removed... that section that trips the autosear is now gone. My question regarded whether or not the firing pin had to be unshrouded for it to be legal.

As far as removing metal to bring an NFA part into spec is legal or not, check the disconnecter in your rifles. I know that both of my Bushmasters have what appear to be M16 disconnecters that have the tails ground off.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top