Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2002 6:50:37 AM EDT
Is there a limit for magazine capacity for rifles in Ohio? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think so.  If there is, then I'm in trouble seeing i have 20 and 30 rounders for my AR's and 15 rounders for my Beretta's.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#2]
None that I'm aware of. We really don't have anymore speciality gunlaws than the federal one everybody has to follow. It'll be nice when we get our CCW.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If memory serves me right[thinking], when you put more than 30 rounds in a mag, you have an illegal machinegun in Ohio, by STATE law...

KEY words, 'memory' & 'more than'. Localities have varying restrictions (bigger cities) and Betas are legal WITH LESS THAN 30 rounds inserted.

Someone double confirm me or set me straight...

Signed, From ohio, but now CCW LEGALLY!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Law is worded to the effect "more than 30 in the mag is an automatic weapon", unless host firearm is already NFA registered (MG or SBR, etc). Kind of an un-enforcable law really, who is going to stand there and count your shots, besides all the brass all over the range on the ground. May be something in the ATF 5300.5 book, will look tonight when I get home. Library has bound books that cover "THE OHIO REVISED CODE" here in Ohio at all the branches.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Law is worded to the effect "more than 30 in the mag is an automatic weapon", unless host firearm is already NFA registered (MG or SBR, etc). Kind of an un-enforcable law really, who is going to stand there and count your shots, besides all the brass all over the range on the ground. May be something in the ATF 5300.5 book, will look tonight when I get home. Library has bound books that cover "THE OHIO REVISED CODE" here in Ohio at all the branches.
View Quote

Never heard of that before. If its on the books than it sounds like I'm an outlaw.[}:D]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well kiss my old alzheimers ass, I WAS right....!!!!

[flag]

Thanks 7-11 !!!

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while!! [:D]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I know some cities limit mag caps to various amounts...it's so stupid...
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
[flag]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know some cities limit mag caps to various amounts...it's so stupid...
View Quote

Cincinnati would be one of those.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Using the 5300.5, which is a basic listing, I have slightly mis-represented what I had posted in an the earlier post while I was at work.

Troy did a better job of saying it. Definition can be found (what Troy is refering to) can be found in the OHIO REVISED CODE, 2923.11, (E), "Automatic Firearm",......also means any semi-auto firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than 31 cartridges without reloading,,,,,,

Cincy has a mag restriction, with-in city limits--rifle, 10rd,, shotgun, 5rd,, handgun, 15rd, all other prohibited.

Columbus has misc restrictions,,

Toledo is fire more than 21 with out reload(automatic weapon), they passed a law recently banning a whole lot of stuff, somebody from Toledo needs to fill in the blanks here, as I breifly seen something here in the Dayton paper.

EDIT- I have poor spelling sometimes..
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Actually, the language states that if the GUN contains more than [b]31[/b] rounds, it is considered a machinegun by the state (and therefore VERY illegal if it's not an approved NFA machinegun).

You can still own and use a Beta mag; you just can't attach it to your gun if the total number of rounds in the gun exceeds 31.

-Troy
View Quote

Actually you are not 100% correct. You forgot to mention that any firearm chambered in .22 short, long or long rifle is excluded from the definition of "Automatic Firearm" as it pertains to magazine capacity. If you read closely you will see that the number of rounds in the magazine is irrelevant. If you attach a magazine that gives the weapon a capability to fire more than 31 rounds without reloading then you have an automatic firearm by definition. See section 2923.11(E) "Definitions"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top