Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2002 7:39:47 AM EDT
I am under 18 and my parents told me that if there were ever an accident at a range that they would be held responsible because the gun is under there name, but wisconsin state law states that you can legally take a rifle to a range if you are under 18. So i was wondering who is held liable me or my parents?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You. I think?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto eswanson.

Being responsible for the care of a minor does not necessarily equal being liable for their actions.  Why don't you have them gift you the gun if this is their concern.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Count on your parents being sued if you do something dumb either deliberately or accidentally with their property, especially firearms.  

Check the law again about adult supervision of minors handling firearms.  Many jurisdictions now hold adults/parents criminally responsible if a minor criminally or negligently causes injury with their firearm(s).
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I e-mailed the DNR for the state of wisconsin because they know all the laws about guns. They said it is legal for me to shoot at the range and if a accident occurs it depends on the circumstances. The only reason I am worried about this is because I recently oredered a ar15 and then the other day my parents told me they wouldn't let me shoot it unless a parnet was around. It doesnt bother me that they would have to be there its just that I would never get to shoot my guns because they wouldnt have the time to come with. Now with the info and opinions I have gained from you and the dnr I should have no problem shooting my guns when I want to.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You can sue anyone you want, for whatever you want-- it doesn't mean you will win.

I think also, that even if its not your property, if you do something stupid, and your parents were aware of this behavior based on previous circumstances, then they will probably be liable, and responsible for your actions since you are underage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top