Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2002 1:26:37 AM EDT
Are there any laws concerning belt fed rifles? Are there any belt fed AR15 uppers out there? I'd think they would be fun to shoot, and would probably sell like hotcakes, yet I've never seen one. I'm not 100% sure how belt fed rifles work, so maybe I'm missing something obvious. Just curious. Thanks.

The Professional

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

-Mark Twain
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 1:34:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#2]
If I recall correctly, the AW ban covered belt-feds the same as a detachable magazine. It is considered one evil feature.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, no.  A BELT is a 'large capacity feeding device', but is defined distinctly and separately from a 'magazine'.

The language of the AW ban defines ability to accept a detachable MAGAZINE as one of the required characteristics for a 'semi-auto assault weapon'.  A semi-auto firearm which can accept a belt feed, but NOT accept a detachable magazine should not be subject to the AW ban, according to the letter of the law.

You still have to use pre-ban belts or links, however, if you want a belted capacity of more than 10 rounds.

California state law does define a belt as a magazine, but that's only binding in California.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#4]
About a year ago, there was picture of a belt fed AR as the pic of the month on the home page here. I don't know where these pics go, but it's got to be here somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
There are several belt-fed AR-15s, at least in prototype form. The Ceiner conversion was on the cover of the Guns & Ammo Annual like 15 years ago, give or take.

Scott

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen belt-fed ARs, I know its legal, don't know where I saw it unfortunately...
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 12:19:24 AM EDT
[#7]
O.K. You asked for it and here it is............
XMG Belt Fed AR/M16 upper receiver:
cal. 8mm
feed. belt only, type MG32/42
fires from closed bolt
uses many MG34 parts and acc's
cycle rate 700 rpm ( M-16 lower )
single shot with AR-15 lower
quick change barrel
milled steel rec
complete upper grade A parts    $3,950.00
  "       "      "  B   "       3,800.00
each with 5x50rd belt and 250rd ammo can (LTO)
ATF Approved Non-NFA  Non-Assault Weapon
No mod to your lower rec.
www.brpguns.com
March 20 2002 Shotgun News  page 189

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top