Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2002 11:40:41 AM EDT
I've got a few 30 rd AR15 Mags that aren't usable due to dents, cracks, etc.

Rather than tossing them, I seem to remember a posting here that you could get LEO/Military mags as replacements, as long as you hold on to the original pre-ban mags.

I couldn't find the post, so I checked the
ATF site and found: (http://atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/qa.pdf)

"(O7) Are replacement parts for grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices subject to regulation under the law?

No. Parts may be replaced in grandfathered semiautomatic assault weapons and grandfathered
feeding devices without violating the law."

It appears that ATF agrees that this can be done.

Now a couple questions;
1. Does anyone see a problem with my interpretation, or any potential problems if I take this route?

2. How does once buy replacement LEO/Military Mags without the required ID/Letter?

Thanks,

Neil
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Normally you can find some one at the gun show selling LE/Govt mags to anyone with or with out ID!!

[beer]

I wouldnt buy them, but I dont need replacements.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldnt buy them, but I dont need replacements.
View Quote

I have a 'thing' about removing 'pre-ban' items from circulation and reducing the overall quantity. To me it is the same as disassembling a Pre-ban Ar15 and turning it into a post-ban.
Link Posted: 3/23/2002 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few mags that "popped" a few of the spot welds along the back rib and opened up at the top. We have a welding shop that we sublet work to when needed, so I sent 3 mag bodies to them to have the rear rib TIG'd to resecure them, no problem, just make sure the body width is .890 I think it is.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I doubt that anyone manufacturing mags would sell blank mag bodies.  Maybe after 2004 if the sunset doesn't stick.  

LEOs buy brand new standard capacity (high cap) magazines for 7.00 to 10.00 dollars.  Why buy a mag body for the same price.  So I doubt that anyone making LEO mags are selling the bodies separate.

So that leaves you trying to buy LEO mags to disassemble to replace your pre-ban magazines.  And simply put, you can't do it legally.  You can't buy without authorization.  The dealer can't sell without seeing your papers.

Worst of all imagine your at the local range and a LEO takes notice of your 'replacement' mags.  You'll be spending a great amount of time trying to convince him your legal.  Just ain't worth it.  Hell I have two range bags for mags.  One has my LEO mags the other has plain ole pre-ban mags.  Even though I could use the LEO mags all the time, I only use them at LEO ranges.  Saves a lot of b.s. when your not in your own 'back yard'

I hate this crap as much as anyone else.  I ain't the one you have to watch out for.  Its the buzz cut newbies that just have to make a name for themselves (usually its a$$hole).

Anyway as it is said here many many times.  Don't put your butt in a sling over saving a few bucks.  Just skip pizza next Friday.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone was asking something similar, but w/ plastic hicap AR mags (They wanted mag bodies in colors).

Any how, if you look in Brownells, they have lots of pistol mag bodies available for repairs.  Granted, most of them are for Para Ord and STI (so on).  Now Scherer is to have been said to come out w/ a Glock mag body....

The AR15 mag bodies must be a taboo or what....
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
This sounds like a good buisness venture to me. You could make a buttload of $ making and selling "replacement" magazine bodies. I'm sure everyone has a few mags that could use a new body. But it would probably end up being an ATF nightmare trying to keep it going.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]
This topic comes up from time to time, and the usual consensus is "if it were that big a business opportunity, someone would be doing it".

If you think it's a money maker, go for it - but how much do you expect to make your mag bodies for?  How much can you sell them for?  How much would you be willing to spend for a brand new replacement mag body? Will you require the buyer to send in their beat up old pre-ban bodies so you can verify and destroy them before sending out replacements?  If you can sell brand new high quality replacement shells for $5, I'll take 200.  If you can't bring them in under $10, I'll wait for the ban to sunset, all my pre-ban mags to fall apart, or pre-ban prices to hit $30 before I'd bother.

With original pre-ban 30rd mags out there in the $15 range, you'd have to come in under that, and with the additional paperwork and records to verify receipt and destruction (in order to stand any realistic chance of avoiding the ATF hassling you into the ground), would it be worth it?

Any one of the existing mag manufacturers could start cranking out new, unmarked mag shells as replacements, and I think they would if there was any realistic expectation of a good profit and a good volume from it.  If you think it can be done profitably, I encourage you to invest in it and give it a go, or even find some investors to spread the risk - but do the math on your business model first.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top