Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2002 1:39:28 PM EDT
for a spotter.  which one and which kind?  im looking at IOR for binos, how about spotting scopes?  range finding?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
IOR is very good quality.

We are a dealer for them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmm, good question. If you have the money get one of each.  However, even the most a relatively inexpensive pair of binoculars will perform both functions.  While a Spotting scope does not have the stereo image which your brain will so enjoy.

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I consider my Swarovski 10x binocs the most useful optic I have ever owned.  A good spotting scope is also very useful, but I would get some top grade binocs first.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Either good scope or binoculars cost as much as a good rifle.  I bought swarovski binoculars first, more useful, super image. Next, I bought a Kowa spotter from J Owens.  The spotter is super for small holes at distance. By the way, one can get small holes to show up better, if you staple cardboard(covered with shiney aluminium foil) at a 45 degree angle to back of target frame.  It gathers sky light. Don't forget a good scope stand is $125 to $200.
Good luck with your optics!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd get a spotting scope. They are usually more powerful and it's easier to work with the scope on a tripod rather than switching to binoculars. I have friends who get by just find with binoculars, but I am glad I spent the money on a spotting scope.
View Quote

I am with Aimless.

I bought a set of 10x50 bino's thinking that I could use them for spotting. Not good. You have to get an adapter to fit them on a tripod, they are not quite powerful enough to see .223 hits at 100 yards on paper.

For a range spotter, I would definately get a spotting scope. And generally speaking with optics, you get what you pay for. So splurge a bit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out astronomics.com

They'll give the scoop on what's good your application.

Personally I like 7X35 bino's for most outdoor work.  I have 10X50's for raptor identification, 7X50's for marine applications and variable power spotting scopes for target work.

I personally like Nikon.  They make good optics and fair prices.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Binoculars are usually not powerful enough for spotting targets, especially small-bore.

I got a Tasco spotting scope as a result (goes up to 30X), and it's adequate for 100 yds.  It hasn't had the test of moderate rain, though

Wind River makes pretty good binoculars.  They replaced my El Cheapo zooms that I got for my birthday years ago.

I had to return a pair of Pentax binoculars, due to too much distortion at the edge of the field of view (forget the term for this).

One tip if you're looking at zoom optics:

Check to see how "linear" the focus stays when you zoom.  In other words, if they're in focus at 7X, how much re-focusing do you have to do when you change it to 20X?  How much looseness is there in the zoom meachanism?  Also, how much in the eyepiece focus?  The better ones should require mimimal refocusing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top