Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/14/2009 8:06:46 AM EDT
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.941:

Call the Senate Judicary Committee and ask for hearing/vote on SB 941

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Reform and Firearms Modernization Act of 2009 (Introduced in Senate)

PHONE NUMBER: 1-202-224-7703

Thanks to all who care!
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Bill would clarify gunsmithing among other things:

SEC. 208. CLARIFICATIONS RELATING TO MANUFACTURING OF FIREARMS.

(a) Clarification of Definition of Manufacturing- Section 921(a)(10) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following: `The term `manufacturing' shall not include repairing firearms, making or fitting special barrels, stocks, trigger mechanisms, or other parts to firearms, or engraving or otherwise altering the appearance of firearms.'.

(b) Clarification of Definition of Dealer- Section 921(a)(11)(B) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking `or trigger mechanisms to firearms' and inserting `trigger mechanisms, or other parts to firearms, or engraving or otherwise altering the appearance of firearms'.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Would reform machine gun laws:

S.941
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Reform and Firearms Modernization Act of 2009 (Introduced in Senate)

SEC. 202. POSSESSION OF MACHINEGUNS FOR INDUSTRY TESTING, TRAINING, AND FILM PRODUCTION.

(a) Post-1986 Machineguns for Testing, Research and Development- Section 922(o)(2) of title 18, United States Code, is amended––

(1) in subparagraph (A), by striking `or' at the end;

(2) by redesignating subparagraph (B) as subparagraph (E); and

(3) by inserting after subparagraph (A) the following:

`(B) a transfer to, or possession by, a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer solely for testing, research, design, or development of ammunition or a firearm;

`(C) a possession by a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer for the purposes of training persons to whom a machinegun, manufactured or imported by the licensee, may be transferred as described in subparagraph (A);

`(D) a transfer to or possession by a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer for a professional theatrical purpose if the licensee––

`(i) is registered under section 5802 of the National Firearms Act;

`(ii) holds a valid permit or license under State law to engage in business as a theatrical firearms dealer or equivalent statutory designation;

`(iii) derives not less than 80 percent of income from the firearms business from the use of firearms by professional motion picture or television productions that are distributed to or produced for a national or international audience;

`(iv) before possessing a machinegun under this subparagraph, provides the Attorney General with documentation that––

`(I) the licensee meets the requirements of clauses (i) through (iii); and

`(II) the transfer or possession, as the case may be, is for such purpose; and

`(v) establishes that the number of machineguns sought by the licensee is reasonable for the film, production, or performance for which the machineguns are requested; or'.

(b) Importation of Machineguns- Section 925(d) of title 18, United States Code, is amended––

(1) in paragraph (3), by striking `or' at the end;

(2) in paragraph (4), by striking the period and inserting a semicolon; and

(3) by inserting after paragraph (4) the following:

`(5) is imported or brought in for a purpose described in section 922(o)(2); or

`(6) is a machinegun being imported or brought in for a purpose described in section 922(o)(2)(D).'.

(c) Importation Under the National Firearms Act- Section 5844 of the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5844) is amended––

(1) in paragraph (2), by striking `or' at the end; and

(2) by inserting after paragraph (3) the following:

`(4) a machinegun being imported or brought in by a registered importer or registered manufacturer for the purpose of training persons who acquire machineguns pursuant to paragraph (1) that were manufactured or imported by the registrant; or

`(5) a machinegun being imported or brought in for a purpose described in section 922(o)(2)(D) of title 18, United States Code;'.

(d) Professional Theatrical Purpose Defined- Section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(36) The term `professional theatrical purpose' means the use of firearms in a motion picture or television production which is expected to be produced, distributed, marketed, or shown by a member of a nationally recognized professional trade association related primarily to motion picture and television production, as determined by the Attorney General.'.

(e) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#3]
My version

S.087

ATF is reformed into Porta-Potty cleaners.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
cliff notes- what does it do?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Allows barrels to be imported.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

S.941

SEC. 202. POSSESSION OF MACHINEGUNS FOR INDUSTRY TESTING, TRAINING, AND FILM PRODUCTION.

*snip*

What the hell does the long part "say"?  I don't speak legal-ese, or see what's different.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.941

*snip*

What the hell does the long part "say"? I don't speak legal-ese, or see what's different.

It allows Hollywood to buy new MGs.

Yeah, it's a baby step, but it's probably the only MG expansion we could get, considering the current make up of Congress.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#8]
btt

The bill does way more than allow machineguns for movie props

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

S.941

*snip*

What the hell does the long part "say"? I don't speak legal-ese, or see what's different.

It allows Hollywood to buy new MGs.

Yeah, it's a baby step, but it's probably the only MG expansion we could get, considering the current make up of Congress.

We shouldn't change shit about it, then!  If Hollywood's feeling the pinch on their movies, it will only get more expensive for them, and they might eventually switch to "our" side in the debate.  

At least, it makes sense to me.  Any flaws with that line of thought?
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#10]
BTT
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Hollyweird is pushing still pushing their BS and just want to make sure they are armed.  

This needs more investigation.  

What is the catch and how are they going to screw us?

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My version

S.087

A quick scan of it; yes.  I'm going to really read it though.  Pulling teeth of federal agencies is always a win.

Next on the list: EPA

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#13]
hollywood needs new blank MG's???  Why so they can make a movie about how easy it is to obtain a MG or further exploit guns in general they've done a bang up job as it is now.  Hollywood has done nothing good for our cause nor for the residents of Cali, I didn't see them standing up to AWB nor the right to defend ones life in that commie state.  They along side of politicians are a voice to be heard.

Its like opening a can of worms now, allow congress to change that and you give them a foot in the door to introduce more gun control...see we reformed that law but we want to add more control measures to other areas.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#14]
btt
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
hollywood needs new blank MG's???  Why so they can make a movie about how easy it is to obtain a MG or further exploit guns in general they've done a bang up job as it is now.  Hollywood has done nothing good for our cause nor for the residents of Cali, I didn't see them standing up to AWB nor the right to defend ones life in that commie state.  They along side of politicians are a voice to be heard.

Its like opening a can of worms now, allow congress to change that and you give them a foot in the door to introduce more gun control...see we reformed that law but we want to add more control measures to other areas.

Uh a lot of movies are filmed outside California...............

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
btt
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#17]
btt
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Gunsmiths no longer have to maintain a manufacturing license if they are sporterizing military firearms.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 8:45:19 AM EDT
[#19]
btt
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#20]
btt
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like CRC went full-auto.  Does he have the proper licensing for that?  
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#22]
The only law I want to see is:

"The BATFE is hereby abolished and the NFA and the Gun Control Act of 1968 and all related laws are repealed in their entirety."
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks to all who care!

Add a poll to see how many ARFcom-ers actually care. If past polls are any indication, 1/3 will actually take action, 1/3 will just armchair commando the issue, and the final 1/3 simply doesn't care.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The only law I want to see is:

"The BATFE is hereby abolished and the NFA and the Gun Control Act of 1968 and all related laws are repealed in their entirety."

I would settle for "Deleted"
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks to all who care!

Add a poll to see how many ARFcom-ers actually care. If past polls are any indication, 1/3 will actually take action, 1/3 will just armchair commando the issue, and the final 1/3 simply doesn't care.

OK

I bet my call was the only one they have recieved
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My version

S.087

Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#27]
btt
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Ill call my guy in the morning.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks like CRC went full-auto.  Does he have the proper licensing for that?  

ATF probably modified his mouse.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#30]
btt
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#31]
You can believe that if the government wants to change legislation the average guy like you and me are gonna get screwed somewhere somehow.....In short it's not for our benefit.........
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can believe that if the government wants to change legislation the average guy like you and me are gonna get screwed somewhere somehow.....In short it's not for our benefit.........

This is an NRA drafted bill that passed the US House when Republicans were in charge and gained lots of support

If you find something bad in the bill post it up

Link Posted: 12/24/2009 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's my version:

"Title 18, USC, Chapter 44, deleted."
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here's my version:

"Title 18, USC, Chapter 44, deleted."

Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#35]
btt
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#36]
So, should I call Boxer, Feinstein or Pelosi??

Link Posted: 12/28/2009 10:35:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So, should I call Boxer, Feinstein or Pelosi??

Sure.

Link Posted: 12/29/2009 4:49:58 AM EDT
[#38]
btt
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 5:57:23 AM EDT
[#40]

i'm calling in support, but i honestly am 110% AGAINST allowing new and easier to obtain MG's for film-makers. with CGI as good and cheap as it has become, the film industry (which has done its' level-best to un-gun america) has no need for any new guns, let alone new MG's.

Link Posted: 12/29/2009 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

i'm calling in support, but i honestly am 110% AGAINST allowing new and easier to obtain MG's for film-makers. with CGI as good and cheap as it has become, the film industry (which has done its' level-best to un-gun america) has no need for any new guns, let alone new MG's.

You go ahead and oppose it.
I'll start a production company that makes full auto movie shorts.

Link Posted: 12/29/2009 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shhhh...

Link Posted: 12/29/2009 6:27:14 AM EDT
[#43]
According to Gov Tracker, This is what all the Judiciary Commitee has on its plate:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/committee.xpd?id=SSJU

Literally hundreds of bills infront of SB941.

I don't see this getting moved up to quickly. But IDK

Durbin, Feinstein, and Feingold sit on the Committee among others.

Link Posted: 12/29/2009 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

read the first four words of my post again, numbnuts.

Link Posted: 12/29/2009 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That is just one provision of the bill
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
According to Gov Tracker, This is what all the Judiciary Commitee has on its plate:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/committee.xpd?id=SSJU

Literally hundreds of bills infront of SB941.

I don't see this getting moved up to quickly. But IDK

Durbin, Feinstein, and Feingold sit on the Committee among others.

Those bills are listed in the order in which they were introduced.
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#47]
btt
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

S.941

I don't like or support this bit.

It doesn't make it any easier for a regular joe to own machine guns. Only makes it easier for certain people. I'm against any law that doesn't apply evenly to everyone.

Exceptions for hollywood?

Fuck that!

Link Posted: 12/29/2009 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Cool I HAVE a film company,

Turn out some movies on the truth of machine guns and crime,

922o is next then.

ETA: Called and left a message.
Link Posted: 12/29/2009 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Couldn't care less
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top