Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2002 11:59:19 AM EDT
I have been subjected to numerous DUI checkpoints, which have been upheld by the SCOTUS. AFAIK drug checkpoints were not held up. However, my girlfriend called me today after going through a drivers license checkpoint. They made everyone stop and show the cops the licenses.

I have never heard of this. Is this crap legal? We have a lot of illegals around here with no licenses, but to stop everyone, WTH! Whether you think driving is a right or priviledge what do you think about this?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The state has taken away your right to resist, and they have removed any tools of resistance, you might as well line up and get your tattoo now...

(LOL, can they do this?  Sure, they kept *their* guns...)
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds perfectly legal to me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The Highway Patrol was doing these quite often a couple of years ago here on I15 and I70. After many complaints, they were told to knock it off by the powers that be.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
its the only kind of checkpoint I've ever seen
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Big suprise. Soon, we'll need microchips implanted in underneath our skin along with ID tags.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard of them.

[b]Driving is a Right, not a privilege.[/b]

Check out the [url=http://usff.com/iepsc/dlbrief1.html]Drivers Brief[/url] for a legal explanation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#7]
It's been going on in NC since the early 1970s as I remember.  It started around the time the MADD reared their heads here.  NC seems to have been on the cutting edge of highway safety program though because it was one of the first states to adopt a seat belt law and consistently has had a very low alcohol content for DWI.  They are very serious.  Get a designated driver.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#8]
That is f*cking ridiculous...
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Presumed innocense has really gone out the window with this one. I guess next year we will have the gun checkpoint.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#10]
As long as every driver is stopped, and they do not discriminate (or profile) it is legal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a Grip, no one is infringing on your right to free movement.  Driving is not a right.  Feel free to walk, ride a horse, take a bus or train.  The driving of an auto requires a licence and the police are ensuring compliance with their checkpoints.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Velcome to Amerika! Your papers please!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Presumed innocense has really gone out the window with this one. I guess next year we will have the gun checkpoint.
View Quote

this is when the shootin better start..
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]
"Get a Grip, no one is infringing on your right to free movement. Driving is not a right. Feel free to walk, ride a horse, take a bus or train. The driving of an auto requires a licence and the police are ensuring compliance with their checkpoints."

Get told a lie often enough and soon, not only will you believe it, you'll help spread it. Ain't that right lucasf?

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#15]

I hope they also have a REAL big van to pack up all the illegal aliens they catch and ship them out the the nearest third-world country.

Funny, they wouldn't DARE ask for your ID to go into a polling station to vote on election day.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Driving should be a right. Here in PA it is a privilege. That being said here in PA police are by law not allowed to stop every car at a checkpoint. I believe that they can stop like every tenth car or some arbitrary number. I've been driving for over 10 years and I've never been through a checkpoint, however they don't have them in the city. I think checkpoints are unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#18]
license checkpoints?    HELL YEAH

i know tooooooo many people, including myself, who have been in traffic accidents with people that ...have NO LICENSE
and of course the cops wont come out since its not an injury accident.

anyone that drives without a license on a daily basis should be kicked in the NUTS or the Ovaries.

its amazing to me how people can leave the house withOUT some sort of ID or license
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]
DUI, seat belt, registration, license, inspection
they have them all in NY
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#21]
The "state" only has a right to regulate, or license "commerce". It has no more right to license "driving" than it does marriage. A "license" implies "permission" to engage in an activity. If you need "permission" from someone (or thing) to do something, then you are a "servant" (or chattel, slave). You are not a freeman......... Checkpoints certainly should come as no surprise to anyone,(neither should the fact that individual police officers are willing to do it!), given the increase in govt. regulation we have experienced up to now. Do you actually believe that govt. control will EVER reach a point that the "masters" will be content with? I'm qutie sure that when govt. says, "Because of rampant ID theft, and the WAR on terrorism, we need a secure form of ID", some of you wil clap your little hands together, and take a "mark (tatoo, chip, whatever), on the back of your hand or forehead........ Then you will really have "security"............(forever)

'Course some on the board would say I'm just paranoid......[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Uh oh, here comes all the internet lawyers...  

Is driving is a right, when does it become so? At birth? If so, then any four year old should be allowed to drive?  Is this a right that then begins with conception? [;)]

If not, then what is acceptable regulation?  Allow driving at puberty?  At the age of "majority"? 18? 21?  If you can't say this is a birth right, it must somehow be regulated, and if it is, then how is it regulated, and by whom?  Your uncle Bob?  Me?  A government agency?  Maybe we could call it the uh, um,... well,..., the department of Motor Vehicles!  that's it!

It's a privilege, and one you gain by demonstrating basic proficiency and lose by demonstrating basic idiocy.  Sounds about right by me.  Checkpoints be cool, too, as a new tool for enforcing the laws on the books.  Law enforcement is like any other business- it requires fresh ideas to stay effective in an ever-changing world.

I'm not a *real* lawyer, but I do play one on the inernet and I'm getting sick of the competition!  Maybe I'll get a life instead... [:D]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I think soon "they" will be issuing bus riding license, a horse riding license, and a walking license.  Then "they" can be real busy with their checkpoints...  After all...  you really don't need to leave your house.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a ticket after getting pulled over at one of these UNCONSTITUIONAL checkpoints. I had misplaced mein paperz. So, I get pulled over and the cop asks for proof of insurance. I didn't have my insurance card on me so I got a ticket.

So, I consider these checkpoints to be a load of BS. He could have checked and probably did to see if I was insured and not written a ticket.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#25]
BTW, my gun was in my bag at the time. So, the cop didn't get a chance to see it and possibly overreact. This is one thing that is not good about checkpoints. When I see them I conceal my firearms. Don't worry it is legal tto have a concealed in your vehicle in Florida. But, what if somebody gets pulled over and Deputy FIfe sees his gun sticking out ?

Ooops, alot of hassle for nothing. It is legal but even some cops don't know all the laws. What if it is an evil black rifle. Of course, Deputy Fife will have to call it in and make sure it isn't a MG. For the children of course.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#26]
If it was a right, you wouldn't need a license..
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#27]
My main problem with it is the presumption of guilt. "We assume you are doing something wrong so we will check to see."

I have mixed feelings about it being a right or a priviledge to drive. Any other way of getting somewhere is illegal in some manner. Try walking along a freeway. On the otherhand, I have three members of my family who have been in a collective of 5 accidents the past ten years. All were no fault of their own, all were by illegals with no insurance. If everybody had the right to drive we would be in a serious world of hurt, many accidents and many deaths.

That brings up mandatory insurance!

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#28]
There are only 2 types of civilians, victims and criminals. If you object to the checkpoints you must be the latter as you have something to hide.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If it was a right, you wouldn't need a license..
View Quote

I hope you were being sarcastic here.   Hmmm... what is that in my pocket?  Ah, a concealed carry license...  So by your reasoning, I guess we don't have a right to keep an bear arms?

I agree that that is exactly what they are trying to take away when they created the whole idea of a concealed carry license, but your argument sort of seems like an odd one for a site that should be pro 2nd.

Just curious here as well - are these checkpoints considered a traffic stop?  Many states require you to inform the officer if you are carrying if pulled over for a traffic stop.  If these states also do license checkpoints, and they are considered traffic stops, isn't this also basically a checkpoint or guns as well?

Rocko
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#30]
The other day I was stopped in North Carolina "down east" at a check-point.  I just assumed that they were looking for a$$holes like me (Texas driver's license, living in North Carolina, driiving veheicles registered in Iowa), but the nice state trooper looked at me - squinted - handed back my license and papers and said "Good day!"

Go figure!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Get a Grip, no one is infringing on your right to free movement.  Driving is not a right.  Feel free to walk, ride a horse, take a bus or train.  The driving of an auto requires a licence and the police are ensuring compliance with their checkpoints.  
View Quote

I disagree--I have seen many people harassed at different times and places for walking, jogging, and riding horses.  Taking buses is the only approved form of Marxist transportation, I guess.

Yes, NC has these awful drivers license checkpoints. It's more of a "hey, let's set up a roadblock and see if we can make some money because we have too many cops on the payroll" things.  It's also why I refer to this as a police state.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#32]
anyone that drives without a license on a daily basis should be kicked in the NUTS or the Ovaries.

its amazing to me how people can leave the house withOUT some sort of ID or license
View Quote

What?  Why?  There are many more people with licenses getting in accidents than people without.  I would argue that having a driver's license proves nothing at all.  Look at how watered down the tests are.  Any illiterate nicompoop can get a driver's license just about.  It means nothing at all--you've been brainwashed into thinking that something the state does is absolutely indispensible.  

I know people who have been driving without a license, registration, inspection (not required in many states) and they have had zero problems.  Licensing is about making money for the state, and nothing more.

Furthermore, why must I leave home with an ID of any kind?  Why is that so important?  It means nothing at all to anyone but a cop.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:21:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I have never heard of this. Is this crap legal?
View Quote

Not very old, are you?  It's been going on for as long as I can remember, and I'm in my 70's.  Maybe, the cops in CA don't do it as often as here in SC, but the cops around here love it.  It's an easy way to meet the quota.  The last one I had to go through was on Highway 11 in Rock Hill, SC.  The SCHP required each person in each car to get out and remove their jackets.  It was pretty cold that day, so it was a pain in the neck.  The officers weren't letting people back into their cars until after they called in the license info.  I was driving a van for work, and carrying a lot of cash.  I made the officers pretty nervous when they demanded we tell them where we were going and where we came from.  I couldn't say, because I'm not supposed to for work.  They didn't like that at all.z
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#34]
They call them compliance checks here. Ever since they stopped state inspection of vehicles, they have set up these blocks. They said it gives them valid reason to do this to make sure you and your vehicle are compliant to the laws.
I've never gotten too rousted here yet. They usually just look at my DL without running it, then flash the light through the windows around the vehicle and send me down the road within 30 seconds to a minute.
And of course, they always have a chain gang. (Bad little boys and girls wearing those shiny silver connecting bracelets who weren't compliant.) [BD]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They call them compliance checks here. Ever since they stopped state inspection of vehicles, they have set up these blocks.
View Quote

You're lucky, we still have vehicle inspections *and* they just raised the price of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top