BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I live in Alamance County, about 25 minutes from Duke, to the west of Durham.

Pistol purchase permits take 10-14 days to get, but you can get 2 at a time.  I just always get two, and when I'm out, I apply again before I need one.  Once you get it, they're good for 5 years.  There is no limit, that I know of, to how many handguns you can own.
View Quote

When you say you apply again, what is involved?  In this county, applying takes a lot of work.  Two at a time is a pain in the ass, yet you make it sound reasonable.  There should be absolutely no restriction, it's a right, remember?

I also just went through the CCW class.  You're right, its expensive.  But I DID learn a few things about the legal use of deadly force, and I'm glad I took the course.  The shooting test only requires some double and triple taps, total of 40 rounds.  Easy.
View Quote

Great for you, but like I said, I'm already well versed on all of that information.  The shooting test, like a driver's test, is too easy and therefore just a hoop you have to jump through rather than anything meaningful.

there are a dozen different interpretations of what's legal for a gun in your car.
View Quote

It is no different if you have a CCW though.  There are ten different interpretations of what is legal for that.

Alamance also has the BEST outdoor range I've ever seen, the Durham Pistol and Rifle Club.  See: [url]http://www.dprc.org/[/url].  
View Quote

Good except for the price--$75 initiation fee + $100 stock + $120/yr. to be a member.  Where is it, exactly?  The web site gives no driving directions.

And oh by the way, you couldn't pay me enough money to live in Sanford....
View Quote

There's a good gun club in Sanford.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

----> Trickshot,
 If you have to ask, I can't explain it to you. Peace of mind is the most valuable thing a man can have.
View Quote

I see no increase in security just because there is a guard hut at the front entrance of your oh so elite subdivision.  It's a false sense of security at best.  I don't know about Fayetteville, but I do know such a thing is completely unnecessary out where I am.  Crime is everywhere--living in a gated community isn't going to help much when you're outside the gates.  But whatever.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in Wilson County.  The handgun purchase permit takes all of 5 minutes here.  Walk in, fill out form, they do a on line check, and ask you how many you want. It does obviate any of the NICS bullshit, especially for somone like me, an american citizen born overseas.  This normally causes a 3 day delay on the NICS approval for me.

CCW has some restrictions, but I'd rather have the permit, than not.

Carrying openly is allowed, as well as openly in your vehicle, ie on dash, on seat.  Some say locked in glovebox is OK.  

The "going armed to the terror of the people" is a common law.

[i]
By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court has said that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.

[/i]

This is left over from reconstruction days when the Klan was terrorizing blacks.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

----> Trickshot,
 If you have to ask, I can't explain it to you. Peace of mind is the most valuable thing a man can have.
View Quote

I see no increase in security just because there is a guard hut at the front entrance of your oh so elite subdivision.  It's a false sense of security at best.  I don't know about Fayetteville, but I do know such a thing is completely unnecessary out where I am.  Crime is everywhere--living in a gated community isn't going to help much when you're outside the gates.  But whatever.
View Quote

---> I'm sticking to the "don't be a sheep" mentality. Guard at the gate is one more obstical that anyone intent on harm has to get thru. Its a deterrent more than a method to prevent. Plus the GF feels safer and that in itself is worth it!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top