Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2002 10:51:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they wouldn't notice if you swapped the lowers for some non-functioning replicas? Wink-Wink....[;)]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I will pray that one day they will be returned to their former glory.  Hopefully my prayers will be heard and they will allow you to save these fine firearms!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
That epoxy can be dealt with.  Believe it!

It really wouldn't be all that hard to take out the epoxy.  You'd take the barrels off and stick them in the oven, and heat them up as high as the barrel steel will allow without destroying the temper and hardness condition.  That may not burn out the epoxy, but it'll loosen its grip.
A good whack on the epoxy with a brass punch and a hammer [smash] may drive out the entire epoxy slug in one piece, yielding a perfect cast of the bore, which by itself will be instructive in telling you how good/bad the barrel is.

You should talk to whomever is in charge and see if maybe a deal can be struck to preserve those vintage rifles that are actually more valuable than new ones.   Maybe you can even make a deal with them yourself to swap rifles one for one with new ones, and you keep the old ones.  You could keep one or two, sell the others, and end up ahead by a rifle or two.

I think it's worth the effort.   Even from a purely practical or financial standpoint, it'd be worth it.

Even if you couldn't get the epoxy out, new barrels in A1 profile (or good used ones) aren't particularly expensive.

If you don't want to pursue it, drop me an email and give me the contact info.  I'll do it!  [:D]

CJ

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#4]
those barrels are shot out, and are overdue for replacement. look, you cant see any rifling at all! i strongly suggest you order new barrels first thing tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Roasting the barrels at 400 F might actually break down the epoxy.

Or the stuff might dissolve out with toluene or MEK.

There's hope!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
<----- sheds tear as well.  I hate bureaucracies.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Red tape?  RED TAPE!!??!!  

Man, this isn't about red tape, it's about saving some perfectly usable pre-ban SP1's (and other AR-15 types) from wasting away, being used as training aids instead of being properly appreciated and used by shooters and collectors who will see to it that they're still around for the next generation to appreciate!

Start filling out those forms, man!  A few forms here and there, followed by a waiting period for a reply, and then another few forms to fill out isn't exactly going to kill you, and if you play the game right you may come out well ahead.   If those SP1's bring 1250 US $ each (that's a very reasonable estimate) and new rifles cost 850, you can clear 400 bucks on each one, minus shipping and whatever fees are involved.  After five rifles you'll have two grand extra, or after four you'll have 750 extra bucks and the fifth SP1 is yours to keep.

It's a no-brainer, man.  Get thee to the office and start begging!

Holy shit...did I ever get an idea now!

I think I could pull this sort of stunt myself, offering to replace all the old, well-worn PRE-BAN Colt AR's and SP1's that the local PD's have with new ones in a dead-even trade, one for one.

Of course, if they wanted the flash hider and bayonet lug on the new rifles, I'd have to get an FFL...which is manageable.  I have friends who have an FFL and I can work a deal with them for a commission.

Now, THAT's an idea.   YOU, too, can do it with the PD's in YOUR area.  Free the pre-bans from police hands!

But it's probably already been done in many places...

CJ

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
cmjohnson...

Striker is a fellow Kanuck...no prebans up here!  No bans at all.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#10]
No bans, maybe, but don't you have registration? That's almost as bad...and could get worse.

You know what I'm saying.  Any "assault rifle" made before September 13, 1994 is legal in the US for civilian ownership, and being "pre ban" means it has extra value to us Americans.   If you can legally get them into the US and sell them (legally) then you can make several hundred bucks a rifle in profit.

CJ

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I pulled the "I'll give you a bran spanking new Glock mag for that old one" trick on an un-named PD in GA. 37 pre-ban G22 mags even trade for 37 LEO only G22 mags. I was the most popular guy at the IPSC match that week and I made a little $ to boot.
If your in the Military you may be able to do the same with the M-9 (92FS) mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top