Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2002 10:07:00 AM EDT
I want to have my windows tinted with a med. darkness on a Dodge ext. cab pickup, anybody have an idea of what this should cost?

Also, when I go to have this done, is there anything special I should ask for (ie. special brand of film, etc)

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#1]
On average, a mallard ($100).
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]
$175
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I want to have my windows tinted with a med. darkness on a Dodge ext. cab pickup, anybody have an idea of what this should cost?

Also, when I go to have this done, is there anything special I should ask for (ie. special brand of film, etc)

Thanks
View Quote

After seeing many crappy jobs that are blistering/bubbling all over, my advice is to ask lots of people who already have tint jobs.

The ones that look good, ask where they had it done, how much, film brands and especially, how long ago & whether they had to go back for any reason.

The jobs that lokk like crap, just ask them where they had it done.  Maybe what brand.  Then you know what to avoid.

Also consider how long the shop you are considering has been around, what changes they.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
$100, maybe $125, at a shop that does it right and uses the best products, for a pickup.  I, and several acquaintances have had great luck with the 3M brand of tinting.  Lifetime guarantee.

DanM
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
You don't list your state in your profile, but in many states it's ILLEGAL to tint yer windows,(cops wanna see you reach for your iron), so check first....
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
$100, maybe $125, at a shop that does it right and uses the best products, for a pickup.  I, and several acquaintances have had great luck with the 3M brand of tinting.  Lifetime guarantee.

DanM
View Quote

Yep, 3M is good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#7]
In CA you can aftermarket tint the back window but not the sides. Last time I had it done on my truck (1997-1998) it was $50 for the darkest tint.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

I'm in NY cost me $175 to do my Integra, pickup would probaly be 100-125, Where ever you do get it done make sure the place offers the lifetime warrenty that way if it bubbles up later on you dont have to pay to replace it, around here most car audio places that do tint offer the warrenty.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:04:16 AM EDT
[#9]
$125 for a standard cab Dakota, (rear window and both side windows) with lifetime warranty, and a statement that it was within the limits of the law. Never had trouble with police, but if I did and had to remove it, the window tinting place would have replaced it free of charge with the next lighter tint.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:27:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Matco tint is good stuff.  Also do yourself a favor and clean your windows really good with a razor blade scraper and some good non-ammonia based cleaner.  They will clean them anyway, but this will ensure that most of the dust is gone.  If you smoke, take a look at what you scrape off your windows and think about that hanging out in your lungs.  I used to clean/tint windows and always hated the smokers' cars. [puke]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to work as a regional trainer for a national autoglass company so I've done more window tinting than I care to talk about.

I agree 3M is good stuff and is about the only brand that will guarantee against the tint turning purple after a few years.

Before they outlawed anything over 50% in Ohio, I had two layers of 95% on each window of the car I was driving at the time. My buddies and I would pull up next to cops at a stoplight and be drinking beer and he would never know because the tint was so dark. Ah yes, to be young and stupid again....

Make sure you go to a reputable place that has a certified installer working for them, that will offer a warranty if it tears, peels, or bubbles. I consider myself to be a very good installer even though I only do a few a year now and I've had to redo the door glasses on my wifes new Prelude twice now because of how tight the window goes up into the frame. So it pays to have a warranty.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#12]
My wife did my 1994 Chevy King Cab.
It took about a half day and it turned out nice.
It lasted about 8 years untill I got rid of it.
I recently had the guys who work the Oakland Colusium Flea market do my new Crew Cab for $90.00 and it is flawless. It took them about 25 minutes to do the back glass and the front drivers windows.
Yes it's not legal but it looks sweet.
One of my friends got a fix-it ticket for tinted fronts a couple of years ago here.
He said he would have rather gotten a regular ticket because it was a pain to remove.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top