Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2002 8:25:48 AM EDT
Just curious what are most of you guys? I guess I'm a bit of all three, but I'm starting to lean more twords a shooter. No more cammies and MREs, Im more into my .22 and trying to shoot tight groups.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just curious what are most of you guys? I guess I'm a bit of all three, but I'm starting to lean more twords a shooter. No more cammies and MREs, Im more into my .22 and trying to shoot tight groups.
View Quote

I'm a neophyte shooter who has cammies and MRE's at the back of the closet.

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a shooter mainly. However, I choose some of my firearms because they compliment my "collection". I can't afford the genuine collector pieces that I'm attracted to.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
"Collection" implies some method or plan for acquisition.  

I'm more of a firearm "accumulator".
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a shooter, firearms were meant to be shot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm like Fatman.  I "accumulate" guns, ammo and high capacity magazines.  I go out now and then shoot just to maintain an air of legitimacy.  Is it a survivalist mentality?  I don't think so. Is it a shootist mentality?  No, because I can't hit the side of a barn. Am I a collector?  No, because I don't have a plan and I buy sell and trade by impulse.

I'm just a dumb ass gun nut so don't fuck with me!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm more of a firearm "accumulator".
diddo
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I had prepared a long post about it, but after reading it, I have come to one simple, summary conclusion:

I own guns because I want to, and someday, I may need to.

Shooter, collector, survivalist?

I am all that, and more.

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a shooter, and I enjoy trying for tight groups, but I haven't been shooting in about six months (grr, broken guns and haven't had two consecutive days off since last summer).  I'm a collector, but I can't afford to buy much.  A couple each of $40 Mosins and $35 Turk Mausers are my (small) collection.  I'm a survivalist, because I bought my first rifle for "just in case" and a Kel-Tec P-32 to carry.  I'm not much of a survivalist, because I can't legally carry my Kel-Tec (damn South Carolina concealed carry laws put the rabid, anti-gun state police in charge of permits), and I walk to work, so it's not like I can leave a rifle in my trunk.  So, I'm either all of the above or none of the above depending on how you look at it.z
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi my names Rabon and I'm a gunaholic theres no logical explanation for the types or numbers of guns I accumulate when asked how many guns do you need? The correct answer is always one more.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hi my names Rabon and I'm a gunaholic theres no logical explanation for the types or numbers of guns I accumulate when asked how many guns do you need? The correct answer is always one more.
View Quote

Hi Rabon, Thanks for joining us. I'm Steve and I'm a Gunaholic. Let me tell you about our 12 step program.......[;)]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I guess I am mainly a shooter.  However I have a few rifles that I rarely shoot but refuse to sell simple because of their historical signifigance...so I guess I am also a collector.  I also got in firearms because of the need for self protection, that and I always have at least 1000 rnds of ammo available....so I guess I am a survivalist also.

Remember, SHTF secenarios can be anything from all out civil war to LA type riots to power outages.  So survival preperation is a very real and necessary thing.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm like every body here a gun fan.   and fan is short for fanatic.....i have short range easy to handle rifles like m15's and aks ,and i like also the old school bolt and lever action rifles.  svt-40 ,hakim,mauser 98 long range,30/30 winchesters.   have a 1911A1 thompson 10mm for which i have a oly 40s&w nm barrel (slide works the same for each )a shurluck 45 slide and barrel that makes three guns out of the one.  am going to buy a 9mm barrel and slide for the 1911A1 then i will have four guns in one.   allready have a pt-92 so the nine is no biggie,but thats what the xm15(bushmaster)m15A2(armalite)car15(colt)have in com with the 1911A1  you can change and add on any number of combinations to get many different kinds of weapons out of them!   well enough about that   ..... happy hunting  bob
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]
  My main thing is shooting high power, but I shoot benchrest (for trying out my reloading skills) and IHMSA on the side.

I enjoy collecting and shooting varmint and sniper rifles. I have a PSS, VLS, and a VSSF there is also a M77VLE on layaway

I often practice with my carry piece and my home shotgun.

I have been know to buy something at the shop that don't really fit into my normal shooting practice because I thought it was neat, good deal, different, interesting.  (an example of that was 2 weeks ago I bought a barely used 10 1/2" Super Blackhawk 44MAG with a scope for $275, I figured why not add a single action to my collection. which got me reloading pistol more)

I often tend to buy one thing and see 3 more things I want next, and usually put one of them on layaway before I leave with what I just bought.

I have lived off the land before, I could do it again.

I planned routes out of the area in case of disaster (since I really don't live far from the nuke plant)

I have plenty of food and water for my family and me.

So I guess I am pretty much all three.

~Bob [sniper]

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I am only interested in military firearms.
I like to be a little prepared, have a working knowledge of firearms and tactics. This hobby takes up very little of my time and money though.  

I am more involved in anything with an internal combustion engine....cars, trucks, Jeeps, buggys, motorcycles, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#15]
As I only have 2 guns, I place 100% of my trust in all of those in government to uphold their oaths to the Constitution. They have and always will know what is best for the public that serves them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Fanatic
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As I only have 2 guns, I place 100% of my trust in all of those in government to uphold their oaths to the Constitution. They have and always will know what is best for the public that serves them.
View Quote

[puke]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#18]
1) Shooter
2) Collector
3) Survivalist

I tend to military historical guns, but I definetly shoot them and I do have only minimal survival skills and equipment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:04:39 AM EDT
[#19]
well duh,,,
<-------
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:55:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm a shooter.  Not for competition, just for fun.  I only own a few weapons, but will get more as the opportunity arrises ( like LEGP 2002).
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#23]
D.........All the Above :)
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, I had prepared a long post about it, but after reading it, I have come to one simple, summary conclusion:

I own guns because I want to, and someday, I may need to.

Shooter, collector, survivalist?

I am all that, and more.
View Quote

I can't believe it, we agree on something..DITTO!

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Shooter 49%
Collector 0%
Survivalist 51%

For me the extra 1% went to survivalist as why shoot if not to better your ability to hit targets? I collect bills not guns.
View Quote

Ditto kinda but i like all weapons not just guns

AR's
22's
Swords
Knives
Tomahawks
mace
warhammer
Bow
Rocks
sticks
you name it if it can be used as a weapon/defensive tool...I dont have to own one but i want to handle/use/learn about it I just love weapons
= MAN-OF-ARMS......
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:27:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hi Rabon, Thanks for joining us. I'm Steve and I'm a Gunaholic. Let me tell you about our 12 step program.......[;)]
View Quote

I see theres' some friends of Bill W here, step 1 give all yer guns to me.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I am a collector of things, guns, ammo, magazines, knives, sharpening stones, and rusty japanese cars. Almost any gun in my collection is worth more than my best car. I dont have top of the line guns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't own any firearms (they're dangerous!)

... I'm just here to meet women!!  [:D]
View Quote

So does this mean you're returning all of those nifty auto/can guns that you've been storing for me????[:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm working on my third safe so I guess I'm an accumulator also. (No hunting just military)
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#30]
IM a shooter- collector/accumulator

Generally if it has an import stamp, is mismatched, post ban or not original im not interested in it. Unless its something created for a type of competition, like a nice tweaked garand with a stainless kreiger barrel

However I don't stick to these criteria all the time. Sometimes a gun is just **FUN** to shoot even though its a butt ugly imported parts gun like my chi com sks .

O and im working on my 3rd safe too [peep]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I consider firearms to be the American Martial Art.

The philosophy of Martial Arts Provides for all three of the practices in question, Shooting, Collecting and survivalism, Plus some not mentioned, like spiritual balance.

As with all Martial Arts, There are those who follow the correct spiritual path and use there skills for good. The quite enlightenment of knowing that you can if need be, protect your self and your loved ones, And those who lack spiritual maturity, Who just want to learn a martial art so they can kick someones ass.

Perhaps we should start a seperate thread regarding firearms as a martial art, it would be intresting to hear how the members of the dojo that is AR15.com feel about how shooting has changed their lives on a philosophical and spiritual level.

Who do you think are the grand masters of our Martial art?

If there was a belt system, what would be its requirements. Would you be a brown belt when you build your first semi auto Rifle?

What are the responsibilities that come with the knowledge you have gained in shooting?

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top