Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2002 7:47:05 PM EDT
I went to buy my kimber today and got delayed like always. The gun shop called me and said that I was denied and I have to mail a form to the feds to get cleared.  I am about to start a law enforcement academy so I know my record is clean.  Anyone know why this might have happened or has this happened to anybody?  does anyone know how long the process takes?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Certainly NICS is capable of being flawed.

Perhaps there is just a system error, the dealer plugged info in incorrectly or [b][i]something[/b][/i] from your past is not purged.

Just guessing mind you.

I would think this dealer could give you more info than he/she did though.

Have you been subjected to and Federal, State or Local background checks recently?  If so, how did they go?

Has never happened to me glad to say.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are 100% truthful about your record being squeeeeky clean it has to be a clerical mistake by either your FFL or the States checking system. Likely it's just a case of mistaken identity or something. This can be cleared up in a jiffy if you follow your states procedure on correcting denials.

My lawyer, who is a pillar in the community and I went pistol shopping a month ago and he was turned down too. He did the paperwork/phone calls and was cleared in a few days.

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#3]
my background is 100% clean , I heard the gun shop give the info it was clear and right, dealer didn't give anymore info till I come in person, I have bought guns from him in the past.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Must have been an error on the NICS side. That happens sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Dealer is not told reason for delay/denial
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Identity theft is a huge and growing problem.  I was a victim financially, you could just as easily be a victim legally.

If I were you I would contact all the records departments asap.  

you don't need it causing problems later.

good luck with the mystery
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:50:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By joe black:
I went to buy my kimber today and got delayed like always. The gun shop called me and said that I was denied and I have to mail a form to the feds to get cleared.  I am about to start a law enforcement academy so I know my record is clean.  Anyone know why this might have happened or has this happened to anybody?  does anyone know how long the process takes?
View Quote

I've had active duty cops get denied. What happens is there's several Joe Black's in the system, one or more are felons or misdemeanor DV convictions or whatever.
So, **despite** having your SSN on the 4473, the bureaucrats err on the side of caution & deny all with the same name as the felon.
What speeds up the process is using one's CCL instead of DL for the ID.
You can appeal, of course. I've seen every single appeal get overturned with a bit of further checking. It's a PITA & BS but when one pays a record clerk $6 an hour, one gets exactly what one pays for.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By joe black:
View Quote

I've had active duty cops get denied. What happens is there's several Joe Black's in the system, one or more are felons or misdemeanor DV convictions or whatever.
So, **despite** having your SSN on the 4473, the bureaucrats err on the side of caution & deny all with the same name as the felon.
You can appeal, of course. I've seen every single appeal get overturned with a bit of further checking. It's a PITA & BS but when one pays a record clerk $6 an hour, one gets exactly what one pays for.
Hope this helps.
View Quote

I bet this kind of bull $hit denials is what Bill Clinton was quoting when he said that the Brady Law help prevent x number of criminals from getting guns.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd check with an attorney that is up on firearms laws and regulations, he/she should be able to tell you how to straighten it out.  I can't overemphasize the importance of relying on someone who knows what the hell is going on.  They are worth the money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true

View Quote

Also not true.  Your ID on a 4473 is not questioned.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#11]
In GA with a CCW permit you dont have to wait on no stinking background checks!

[beer]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In GA with a CCW permit you dont have to wait on no stinking background checks!

[beer]
View Quote

Until your current one expires.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#13]
When it expires I just go to probate court and pay $15 they take one new finger print and and hand me a new CCW permit, hell they even laminate it right there for you. I have done this already and renwing the card is nothing.

[beer]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#14]
The Feds are not going to let the CCL/CWP's fly, anymore they want all transactions to be reported through the NICS system.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#15]
joe black, if you ever get NICS to fix their records, then please let us know what you did.  I've never been approved by NICS, and I know others that haven't either, so I'm sure there's more than a few ar15.com readers who would appreciate that info.z
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Feds are not going to let the CCL/CWP's fly, anymore they want all transactions to be reported through the NICS system.
View Quote

In my state, pull out a CCl/CWP, and you take home your new gun, no NICS.  At least, as of last thursday.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I was told that someone with my same name is a felons or misdemeanor DV convictions or whatever. so I have to appeal. anyone knows how long that takes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Your dealer dosnt know why they denied you.All he can do is give you a form to fill out and mail to the atf.Also he has to give you the nics transaction number.I can tell you for a fact that nics does make mistakes.We had a guy in once who bought a pistol and was cleared right away, he came back 3 days latter to buy a mini 14 and was denied right away.Just yesterday had a customer call to explain why he never got cleared by nics.He had always had to wait the full 3 days before he was cleared.SSI had him down as having 2 birthdays.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since when? Do you have a cite?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
joe black, if you ever get NICS to fix their records, then please let us know what you did.  I've never been approved by NICS, and I know others that haven't either, so I'm sure there's more than a few ar15.com readers who would appreciate that info.z
View Quote

Zoom, I don't understand.  You have never been approved by NICS?  I take it you are not a felon, and have not been arrested for DV; the typical reason's someone would be denied?  Haven't you tried to find out why you were denied?

Sorry, for the personal questions.  It bothers me that you were turned down, if you are a "upstanding" citizen.  Clinton at the controls?  I kept thinking about this last night, so I thought I would ask.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Indiana has a NO NICS with CCW as well .
I love it . Screw the red tape .

No stinking daylight savings either .
When it's 9:00 it is 9:00 . Not 10:30 , or
8:17 or anyother weird freaking time .
No spring back and fall down forward two or three times a year either . I don't know how
you guys put up with changing your clocks all the dang time .

How can you save daylight anyway . Do you put  it in a jar ?
 Or is it tied up on the railraod tracks
and you unite it like Dudley do Right ?

Why does it need saved ?
Are we running out of it ? Is there a daylight
shortage ?

Life is too complicated as it is .
 ( pardon my rant )
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top