Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/15/2002 4:27:19 PM EDT
shooting problems. any problems i've ever had i have been able to determine, isolate, and fix (to some degree of success). however, i can't seem to diagnose my current shooting ailment. took the kimber custom cdp and 1911 LEGP to the range today. (both awesome firarms by the way). however, i can't seem to shoot where i'm aiming. there isn't a problem with the firearms as fiance can put 'em where he wants them. and i am (usually) not all over the place. my groups are 1-2", just not where i intended to put them. incidentally, shots are low and to the right by anywhere from 2-4 inches. i know it's not any one of these problems: 1) limp wristing or too loose of a grip 2) trigger jerking 3) poor aiming technique i'm pretty sure, but couldn't guarantee, that it isn't flinching. i would like to know how i can figure out what the problem is. i got so frustrated tonight at the range that i just packed up and left. i can't fix the problem until i can identify it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:30:59 PM EDT
Next time you're at the range, have your fiance put a snapcap somewhere in a mag, then shoot it all paying attention to your motions before the hammer falls. When you hit the snap cap, you should definitely be able to see if you're pushing the muzzle down in anticipation of the kick. I used to, and sometimes still catch myself doing that. One thing I find easier when shooting repeatedly, is shortstroke the trigger. Hold it down after it fires, then ease up pressure until you feel it click, then reverse your finger's motion to squeeze it again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:34:19 PM EDT
Low and right is usually a symptom of pulling the trigger rather than pressing it straight back. You are using your master eye, aren't you? SRM
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:01:26 PM EDT
try this: [url]http://www.sportshooter.com/improving/images/correction_chart.gif [/url]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:17:45 PM EDT
Arlady, Be happy, that's pretty good for a chic. JUST KIDDING! Really though, what range are we talking?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:26:29 PM EDT
What SRM said.. If you are using your entire finger instead of just the tip your probably pulling your group down and to the right. I have small hands and I have had the same problem.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:41:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2002 6:49:19 PM EDT by shooter505]
ARlady if you are right handed I bet you are flinching. Depending on how far right you are hitting you may be thumbing the grip. AR15fencer is on track.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:32:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GovtThug: Arlady, Be happy, that's pretty good for a chic. JUST KIDDING! Really though, what range are we talking?
View Quote
heehee. "pretty good" is good enough to put the bad guy down. [;)] by range i'm assuming you mean distance to target: roughly 20 feet or so. shooter505, i really don't think my problem is flinching. Grock, i checked out that link. i think the problem is exactly what the "wheel" says. thanks so much for that link. can't wait to get to the range again and see if i can straighten this matter up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:58:33 PM EDT
I think you're just forgetting to compensate for the deflection caused by the earth's axial rotational forces... it's worse in the winter months, ya know?
Top Top