Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2002 1:39:22 PM EDT
I beleive I get royally screwed when you compare what I pay in taxes, vs. what I get from teh fed gov't.

The only two things I can think of are-

1. National defense

2. road and highway useage (much of that even comes from my state taxes).

Incidentals like visiting the Washington Monument once every 15 years doesn't count in my opinion.

What else do i get from teh Fed gov't???

What about you guys?? What do you get?? what have I forgotten that I get for the money I pay in Federal income taxes????

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I get to provide housing, some much nicer than my own, for many people I've never met and never will meet.  I get to buy more food, with food stamps, for many people than I eat myself.  I get to pay people, I'll never meet, with welfare almost as much per week as I make while working.  I get to help provide medical care for many thousands that's better than what I receive myself.  I get to maintain millions of acres of land and many parks that I'll never have the chance to visit.  Finally, I get to help fund the BATF to keep me from buying the rifle that I want.  See garandman, the government does lot's for me.z
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You get to spend MORE money by sending it to organizations that fight the B.S.laws that get put into effect using your initial money.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
See garandman, the government does lot's for me.z
View Quote

Can'tcha just feel the love?????

Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Aggravation!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Come on guys - seriously.

I want to compose a list of things I get for my tax dollars.

1. National defense

2. Roads

What else????

I don't have children. But even if I ever do, I'd NEVER send them to the public school sewer hell hole.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Corporate welfare programs. Someone has to help
fund pet food advertising overseas.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't have children. But even if I ever do, I'd NEVER send them to the public school sewer hell hole.
View Quote

I live in such a liberal area that my oldest daughter gets criticized at school for sticking up for "GW"!!! As far as I'm concerned, she's the only smart one in this school system!! The local "DEMO_SHIT'S" even ripped off my Bush-Cheney" sign & replaced it with a "Gore-Lieber_ASS" sign last election. I ripped it to shreds, staked it into the ground & spent the whole summer mulching it with my mower... I never had so much enjoyment cutting grass...

[}:D]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I can give you two more Garandman.....

1. A federal prison system for housing offenders that dont fall under one states jurisdiction.  Unfortunatly prisons are a must.  Many wont like that, but I am not naive enough to think that we dont need them.

2.  National parks systems.  I fully support keeping part of this country in rugged natural beauty.  I am afraid if we dont, all to soon we will have asphalt from coast to coast.  The problem right now is the trend to try to deny access to federal ground.  This isnt right.  I may never visit Yellowstone, but I fully support it being there.  Also in this catagory is maintenance of historicaly important sights.  We need to keep sight of our history, or we will forget the lessons we have learned.

Funny thing, paying income tax doesnt really bother me, its the property taxes that pisses me off.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
disease and vaccine research
View Quote

Yup. They even named one that they did all of the work for Taxol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Smooth operation of the airwaves, courtesy of the FCC.

Edit to add:
I also have the protection of the BATF.  They ensure that I can purchase safe reliable firearms and good clean booze.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry garandman, I didn't realize you were serious.  The only thing I could think of that I encounter day to day is the USDA.  Well, I don't encounter them directly, but I do eat food that is probably safer because of them.  Beyond that, I can't think of anything else.z
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:27:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I beleive I get royally screwed when you compare what I pay in taxes, vs. what I get from teh fed gov't.

The only two things I can think of are-

1. National defense

2. road and highway useage (much of that even comes from my state taxes).

Incidentals like visiting the Washington Monument once every 15 years doesn't count in my opinion.

What else do i get from teh Fed gov't???

What about you guys?? What do you get?? what have I forgotten that I get for the money I pay in Federal income taxes????

View Quote

Federal Courts, and OSHA. Hopefully they might prevent a work place injury from effecting you, and if they don't you have a place to sue the %^)*'s

Federal Prisons, it's not what you get it's what you don't......... hopefully you don't get to meet any of the rascals in there......
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I was receintly in Russia and I can tell you that we get a lot for our money. Most of all we get a quality of living that is much higher than many have in other countries. Now I'm not saying that every part of America is perfect, but it is a free country and you do have a choice to move from where you live. Most people don't because to change is scary.

I work in higher ed and a typical Russian professor (one that has a PhD.) made about $55 per month and usually would have to work two to three jobs to live.

I have to say, after I saw how difficult some of their lives were, I am very happy to be an American!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I think the most useful thing that my tax dollars buy besides roads and national defense is [b]capital punishment[/b]. I can't think of a better use for my money than to get some oxygen wasting, menace to society criminal expelled from the face of the earth.  [xx(]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Garandman, I just want to clear up a possible misunderstanding on my part.  Do you want only stuff that the federal government should be doing?  Or should I include stuff that the government has taken over even though the free market would provide better, more efficient service at a lower price?

If question 1 is correct:
National Defense
Justice System for appropriate civil and criminal cases
ummm...that's about it

for question 2:
USPS
OSHA
USDA
Social Security
Medicare
CDC
National Parks Service
US Forest Service
FCC
FAA
...I'll quit before I wear out my fingers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#24]
The gov't takes a good chunk from my wife and my paychecks, ticks me off that even claiming zero dependants we still have to pay in thousands of dollars.

Best way to calm myself down is to convince myself that we are paying my dad's salary, he works for the Soil Conservation Service.

Ignorance is bliss and I'm trying really hard to get there. :)
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top