Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2009 2:46:03 PM EDT
i need a utility pole installed.  it should be about 25-30 feet above ground when done.  the installation location is easily accessible by a truck equipped with an auger.  the ground itself is firm black loam and clay soil, no rocks, easy to auger in.   and it's just the pole, nothing hanging off of it.  see example below., not my house but representative of what i need and of the basic layout.

the number i got quoted seems somewhat out of line from reality.
how much should this cost, pole + installation?
how much does a standard issue 35' pole cost alone?  (typical diameter, nothing oversize)

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Around $300 this also depends on if its treated or not and what class it is.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a site with pole prices.  http://www.americantimberandsteel.com/poles-pilings-utility-poles-unframed-cca.html

You have to remember that is just for the pole.  The contractor has to have it shipped from where ever, pay for the truck and the equipment to dig the hole, it will take several people and more equipment to safely set the pole, and he has to make a profit on top of all that.  Expect anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 for the complete job depending on the class and length of pole, plus how close you are to contractor.

What were you quoted?
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ham?
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
setting up a new antenna?
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Check your power company for the take down poles. I have three they dropped off for free.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Alien abduction?
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
$1800

The pole itself is a couple hundred, shop around and you can get a good deal.

EDIT: When I say shop around, I mean for the installation.  A lot of crews from larger infrastructure companies will skip out early and do it for $1200 installed, sometimes less depending on where you are.
Link Posted: 9/29/2009 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#8]
guys,
thanks for the input.  the number i was quoted was $1500 and i had a bit of inside info that the company was getting the poles for $350 per, so the labor seemed somewhat steep.  i also wonder if there are other folks besides electricians who install utility poles; i don't think i need a bonded/licensed electrician to stand the pole up.  this appears to me to be sort of like paying a doctor to put a band-aid on your knee.

ps: this is not out in the boonies, either.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/29/2009 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
guys,
thanks for the input.  the number i was quoted was $1500 and i had a bit of inside info that the company was getting the poles for $350 per, so the labor seemed somewhat steep.  i also wonder if there are other folks besides electricians who install utility poles; i don't think i need a bonded/licensed electrician to stand the pole up.  this appears to me to be sort of like paying a doctor to put a band-aid on your knee.

ps: this is not out in the boonies, either.  

ar-jedi

Equipment isn't free.

Around here, $1500 would be a very fair price. Most infrastructure and electrical contractors have the equipment to do the job properly and in a timely manner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top