Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/8/2002 11:22:49 PM EDT
I went to my local dealer today and bought myself a new pistol, to my surprise I got a delayed response from NICS! I have purchased well over 40+ firearms since this law went into effect, and this was the first time I got delayed. On my way home the dealer called me and said it was OK to pick up the pistol. Any ideas why? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:42:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:45:08 PM EDT
25% of the gun buying population is delayed. That being said the system could have had a glitch while your transaction was taking place prompting an automated delay. 40+ firearms since late '98; why don't you come to my store?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:56:44 PM EDT
I've been delayed twice that I can remember. It was hell too! Oh, now don't feel so bad for me. My lawyer was flat out denied!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:58:58 PM EDT
I had a Chief of Police denied once.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:14:19 AM EDT
Since NICS took effect I have been delayed on every handgun purchase except one, but never on a long gun. Coincidence?-TR
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:03:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER: 25% of the gun buying population is delayed. That being said the system could have had a glitch while your transaction was taking place prompting an automated delay. 40+ firearms since late '98; why don't you come to my store?
View Quote
Sure! Where are you located?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:31:26 AM EDT
As the others say, a more common name are sometimes more likely to be delayed. Here in TN an out-of-state birth & using a DL instead of a CCW almost guarantees a delay. Use your CCW, if you have one, instead of a DL & see if that doesn't make it go away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:33:09 AM EDT
Every time. Normally a couple of hours. It's really aggravating at a gun show.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:36:55 AM EDT
I am ALWAYS delayed! From 15min to a day. Just never know. I understand there is no appeal from delays to get things cleared up. The system should update EVERYONES status after a check, good or bad, in order to move things along. But that is not the goal is it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:39:29 AM EDT
I get delayed every time. The only reason I can come up with is when the background check was done thru FBI for my current job there was a record of it. That might raise a flag with the feds. I fill out the paperwork and go get a coke, by the time I get back I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:40:56 AM EDT
NICS? Delayed? What's that? I [b]love[/b] my CHL. [:)]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:50:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2002 5:57:55 AM EDT by Spearweasel]
About every third purchase, NICS mistakes me for a middle aged petty thief from Northern Louisiana by the same name. I can tell by the look on the FFL's face when he sees I'm obviously not over 45-50. [img]http://www.spearweasel.com/images/ahead.jpg[/img] Me. [img]http://www.somethingawful.com/cliff/ihateyou/page4-02.jpg[/img] Not me. G*ddamned NICS.... I want my CCL!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:06:41 AM EDT
Ever since I refused to provide the "optional" Social Security Number, I've been delayed every time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:17:05 AM EDT
A better question would be, who hasn't been delayed?z
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:19:45 AM EDT
I was delayed the last two times... Ends up my request was flagged because I entered my current weigth which is 10lbs less than the weight on my drivers license. Enter everything as it is on your DL!!! Got okayed the next day after a manual review.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:25:01 AM EDT
I provide my social security number, hold an Oklahoma issued CCW, hold a Federal Curio and Relics license and have copies of my NICS file showing there's nothing there and I'm held-up EVERY time. Often no response is ever given - the limit times-out and I pick-up my gun. (Obviously I'm never rejected - just delayed each time.)
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:25:55 AM EDT
What about VA members. How you had any long waits? Virginia State Police runs the check in here and i have never had a problem. Just Lucky so far I guess.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:29:29 AM EDT
I used to be delayed every time- usually I'd just hang around for an hour or so, and they'd call back. Like I hate having to browse around in a gun shop for an extra hour. The last two purchases I made, sailed right through. Dealer said it's probably someone with a similar name.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:26:25 AM EDT
Never been delayed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:32:30 AM EDT
Never been delayed...now that I say this watch my next purchase get held up for some reason. Heck, I don't enter the info as it is on my drivers license. I have a diff. address, and my weight is diff. I probably put down a diff. weight each time. medcop
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:35:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 5subslr5: I provide my social security number, hold an Oklahoma issued CCW, hold a Federal Curio and Relics license and have copies of my NICS file showing there's nothing there and I'm held-up EVERY time. Often no response is ever given - the limit times-out and I pick-up my gun. (Obviously I'm never rejected - just delayed each time.)
View Quote
I thought with a CCW you didn't have to do the check??
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:23:54 AM EDT
I'm delayed everytime, long gun or pistol. Always get approved the next day. I just plan for it now. Gee, if I'm delayed, that means I can cool down, and only use the 2 or 3 firearms I already own. I guess I need to look at is a a way to save money. Rat Bastards. WL
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:35:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:23:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2002 12:24:57 PM EDT by fijfi]
Originally Posted By 455SD:
Originally Posted By 5subslr5: I provide my social security number, hold an Oklahoma issued CCW, hold a Federal Curio and Relics license and have copies of my NICS file showing there's nothing there and I'm held-up EVERY time. Often no response is ever given - the limit times-out and I pick-up my gun. (Obviously I'm never rejected - just delayed each time.)
View Quote
I thought with a CCW you didn't have to do the check??
View Quote
I think it has to do with what year you got you're CCW. But for us Wa. folks, with a CCW license, we don't have to deal with the waiting period to pick up our pistols. Jamie
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:24:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BobCole: Here in TN an out-of-state birth & using a DL instead of a CCW almost guarantees a delay. Use your CCW, if you have one, instead of a DL & see if that doesn't make it go away.
View Quote
This is untrue. I was born in New York City, and I've only received one "delayed" response (and that was buying a .22 at Walmart on a Friday night right before hunting season opened--i.e. practically everyone in the state received a "delayed" response.) Beyond that, the CCW argument is non-sensical. Your DL numbers and CCW numbers match--that isn't a coincidence. Using one is the exact same thing as using the other.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:27:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PVFD304: What about VA members. How you had any long waits? Virginia State Police runs the check in here and i have never had a problem. Just Lucky so far I guess.
View Quote
No problem for me ever. Usually 2 minutes on a phone and thats all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:47:58 PM EDT
never been delayed, but then again i have never been through the nics system either (i refuse to submit). there is a lot to be said for private sales.
Top Top