Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2002 12:42:08 AM EDT
Imagine that -- honoring individuals who have excelled, rather than demographic groups.  Why, the sheer gall!  And to think she actually thought she deserved some control over the exhibit for which she was donating a few measly dollars! [rolleyes]

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&u=/nm/20020205/ts_nm/life_smithsonian_dc_1[/url]

[b]Donor Cancels $38 Million Gift to Smithsonian[/b]
[i]Tue Feb 5, 2:28 AM ET[/i]
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A local benefactor withdrew a $38 million gift to the Smithsonian Institution, citing criticism of the American history exhibit it was designed to fund, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

The gift from businesswoman Catherine B. Reynolds, announced in May, would have created a hall of achievement that featured the life stories of eminent Americans at the National Museum of American History.

But museum curators criticized the project from the start, questioning Reynolds' close involvement and its emphasis on famous individuals over demographic groups or ordinary Americans, the Post reported.

"Never in our wildest dreams did we anticipate that the notion of inspiring young people by telling the stories of prominent Americans from all disciplines would be so controversial," Reynolds wrote in a letter on Monday to Smithsonian Secretary Lawrence M. Small.

Reynolds told the newspaper such criticism prompted her to withdraw the money.

The decision comes amid Small's campaign to raise more private money for the nation's premier public museum complex, which has generated debate over the power of private contributions to affect the exhibits and direction of the Smithsonian.

"We are disappointed that the Catherine B. Reynolds Foundation has decided to withdraw from this project, which was being developed in strict  accordance with Smithsonian standards," Marc Pachter, acting director of the American History museum, said in a statement quoted by the Post.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Notice that the details of her allegations are left out. Hmmmm...

Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:17:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Good, I'm glad they got shafted for $38M. That is a chunck big enough to wake their dumb asses up and make them realize that they are pissing people off with their stupid "Smithsonian standards". What fun would be a museum if it only had exhibits on "ordinary" people or things? I can see ordinary stuff at the mall.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top