Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 1:57:06 PM EDT
The thread about making your own light got me thinking. I have access to lost of different types of tubing, and have wanted a tacticla light, but i can't justify the price-when i can just make it. Anyways, here's my question, what would happen if i hooked 9v or 1.5v(AA) (or someting else) power to a 12v light? Would it still work, just not as much output? Or blow up in my hand?

I picked up a little 12v halogen in a projector for $1 today (i can never pass up a deal in the Hardware Dept.) to play with, just wanted some input/advice before i fried it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Any voltage less than or equal to 12 Volts will not hurt the bulb.  Just stay away from voltages much over 12V.  And yes, lower voltage means less light.  In fact, you probably will not be able to see any light if you use a 1.5 volt battery (AAA, AA, C, or D).

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The issue is that the bulb won't explode but the battery might.
View Quote

I agree with everything you said above, but the equivalent source resistance of most alkaline batteries is high enough to prevent the battery from exploding or melting, even if you short them (which I have done many times on accident [:)] )
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a GE halogen light, it says 50W 12V, can i soder a regulator or diode or something on the conection to change it? I really don't know much about electricity, except IT HURTS, and + in, - out = light, power
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Paul's got it right. Lamps have a voltage and wattage rating. The type used in projectors have a high wattage rating, much higher than a small dry cell battery can provide. I would have to look this up but I doubt an AA battery can put out more than about 0.5 amps for any period of time. Lets say you have 4xAA batteries in series. This setup can put out about 6volts x 0.5 amps = 3 watts. Thats it.

That projector lamp probably needs 150 watts or so.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#8]
DOH!!   thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting thread ...

Lets look at what it would cost to purchase the components used in a surefire.

15.00 Lamp
15.00 Batteries

Cost of new 6P (basic, simple inexpensive tactical light)

About 55.00

Piece of mind that it works everytime it's asked - even in the most stressful of situations....

Priceless.

Ryan
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Use a maglight.

Take it apart, mount bulb, parabolic reflector, and tube under barrel. Pad the mount.  Make sure it is focused properly.  Trim to desired length with HS/Dremel.

Solder wires to the + and - terminals, and run the wires to the grip.  Use a Radio Shack pressure switch, mounted on the grip, and two AA batteries mounted inside the hollow grip.  Run and secure copper wire as necessary, and viola.

Cost, anywhere from $Free-$20.00.  Advantage, the light will work.  Batteries are cheap and long lasting.
Disadvantage, not high quality, not as bright as Tac-lights.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep in mind the effects or recoil on your lights! Other than use on light recoiling guns, most bulbs will get beat up and burn out quickly. Even an AR can cause havoc. That's one of the main reasons I just shell out the bucks for Surefire products.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top