Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/24/2002 4:39:04 PM EDT
Alright guys, I'm glad I have your attention! Here's the problem, I'm in a law school class for gun control law. There's a debate on whether possession of a full auto sear alone (without a Class III license) is illegal or whether you need the corresponding gun along with it. Same question for silencers. What about a sear that has been modified to have a crisper/lighter trigger pull, except it that has been modified to the point that it fires full auto, however it is no longer on the gun and is sitting in a drawer collecting dust? Keep in mind these were all hypos in class, so don't send the ATF nazis after me!
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:56:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:07:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Troy: The courts have ruled that an autosear, by itself, is considered a machinegun. That's because it's PRIMARY INTENDED PURPOSE is to make a gun fire full-auto. A standard sear that is broken will be illegal if installed in a gun, but not illegal if not installed. There is plenty of caselaw that covers this. -Troy
View Quote
Then how can places like "Cheaper Than Dirt" get away with selling 4-position selectors??? I was planning on getting one of these for my (issued) M-16 in case my unit get mobilized. It's a good thing that big brother takes the needed measures to keep these things out of the hands of servicemen like me... [rolleyes]
Top Top