Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2002 4:39:04 PM EDT
Alright guys, I'm glad I have your attention!

Here's the problem, I'm in a law school class for gun control law. There's a debate on whether possession of a full auto sear alone (without a Class III license) is illegal or whether you need the corresponding gun along with it.  Same question for silencers.

What about a sear that has been modified to have a crisper/lighter trigger pull, except it that has been modified to the point that it fires full auto, however it is no longer on the gun and is sitting in a drawer collecting dust?  

Keep in mind these were all hypos in class, so don't send the ATF nazis after me!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The courts have ruled that an autosear, by itself, is considered a machinegun.  That's because it's PRIMARY INTENDED PURPOSE is to make a gun fire full-auto.

A standard sear that is broken will be illegal if installed in a gun, but not illegal if not installed.

There is plenty of caselaw that covers this.

-Troy
View Quote

Then how can places like "Cheaper Than Dirt" get away with selling 4-position selectors???

I was planning on getting one of these for my (issued) M-16 in case my unit get mobilized.

It's a good thing that big brother takes the needed measures to keep these things out of the hands of servicemen like me... [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top