User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 9:38:55 PM EDT
[url]www.texansforgunsafety.org[/url]

And then I saw this

[url]www.texansforgunsafety.org/loophole.htm[/url]

And was about to [puke], but I passed out after reading this

What We Believe

Texans for Gun Safety (formerly known as Texans Against Gun Violence) view firearms as dangerous consumer products. Our nation' s annual toll from accidents, suicides, and crimes involving firearms leads inescapably to this conclusion. Yet, these products are among the least regulated on the U.S. market.
Our members are unanimous in their opposition to the private sale and ownership of certain kinds of guns and ammunition, such as rapid-fire assault weapons and bullets made to pierce the body armor worn by peace officers. We are also unanimous in believing that firearms with a legitimate purpose, such as hunting, must be regulated with no less care than other useful but potentially lethal products.

Our organization regards society's regulation of the automobile as an especially fitting model for gun control. The following standard public policies regulating automobiles should also be incorporated into firearm regulation:

Registration of all vehicles at time of purchase and of resale
Licensing of all drivers
Forfeiture of license for violations of vehicular safety rules
Mandatory insurance of all vehicles, with all covered drivers listed in the policy
Differentiation of insurance rates for drivers with certified training
Implicit in the analogy of gun ownership to automobile ownership is our view that gun ownership is no more a right than automobile ownership. We agree with a long and consistent line of constitutional jurisprudence denying that the intent of the Second Amendment was to guarantee individuals the right to own and use guns. Therefore, any city or state, or the nation itself, need tolerate the dangers firearms pose and the harm they inflict only to the extent that it believes them to have some commensurate value to society.
View Quote

Before I had a chance to blow chow.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
[red][Size=6]DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS![/Size=6][/red]

Otis invents the passenger lift. Charles Schultz launches "Peanuts". Mr Potato Head debuts. Diners Club issues the first credit card. Korean war erupts. Danish doctor Christian Hamburger performs the first sex change operation on New Yorker George Jargensen, who becomes Christine Jargensen.

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Texas was on my short list, too. Then I physically visited it. Now it's just down to the Pacific Northwest and Alaska.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Boomer,

I heard that the local reserve units up here were point-blank asked if they'd enforce an order to confiscate, and most replied in the negative. Some stated that the order itself would be illegal. I suspect that Gov. Lock'emup wouldn't hesitate to give the order if he thought he could get away with it.

Ever consider Idaho? I've heard it's not bad over there. How about Oregon? AK certainly is the last frontier. Libs don't like the inconveniences of the AK outback. A bud of mine is considering moving there just to get away from the USespool.

Whaddya' think?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Alaska is great! I found about 20 jobs there just online. But the only bads thing is you have to be a resident to get most of them. I found a job doing security at an air force base for about $2000 bye weekly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:30:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, but I thought they only had that BS in Austin, where the hippies, I mean college students, live. :)

Actually, I'm just fooling with yous. You know we have our share of meat beaters in CA, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Have you considered North Dakota?  I don't believe there are any people there, ergo, there couldn't possibly be any anti-gun orgs. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually, Texas is a great place to live! Here is a fantastic website with fantastic info and links to counter the POS that you are using to make your decision about our fine state.

[url]http://www.tsra.com[/url]

Every state has SOME drawback.

(edited to fix brainfart)

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Another counter:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=88786[/url]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I would happily endorse the law that makes firearm purchases the same as automobile purchases.

1. The minimun age to leagaly purchase an automobile? None.

2. Registration of automobile? None if you use it on private land only.

3. Type of automobile allowed to be purchased by public? Anything you can afford.

4. Capacity limit? See #3.

5. Foreign import? No problem.

6. Home built? Again, no problem.

Get the picture?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 6:06:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I grew up in Pennsylvania, moved here to Texas from California two years ago, and I have never lived anyplace better.

1. No state income tax. I got a nine percent raise just for moving.
2. Shall-issue CHL.
3. Class 3? Why yes, absolutely!
4. A gun show almost every weekend within an hour drive.
5. Thunder Ranch, TDSA, Pro-Tac, Texas Pistol Academy.
6. When I registered my truck in California in 1999, it cost me $854. When I registered the same truck here in Texas after we moved here in November of 1999, it cost $55.
7. Sam Johnson and Phil Gramm represent me in Washington instead of Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein. Sam was an Air Force fighter pilot and POW in Vietnam. Unlike John McCain, he has not forgotten where he's from or how he got where he is now.

In short, I'll take Texas.
[img]http://www.50states.com/no/0txf.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:]
What turned you off after physically visiting here?  
View Quote

First off, I generally liked the friendly nature of people in the rural parts, the laid back atmosphere, and the conservative political climate.

I could just never get used to the flat terrain of eastern Texas or the humidity. They say Austin is "hill country". Well, I would have to say that anyone who buys that sure ain't ever seen a real hill. I could probably get by out in western Texas, but it's so hot, dry, and scrubby. I also didn't like the idea of having to pay at least $500 just to hunt deer on some farmers land. I turned down a substantial bonus to work in Houston.

I don't drink alcohol, but for those that do, they may not care for the fact that in some counties you can't buy anything harder than a wine cooler.

Me, I just like rugged mountains covered with forests of tall, green trees. I like snow, too. Hence the PNW or Alaska.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Guns are the among the least regualted of consumer products???

Please.

Whenever I see that statement, I know I'm dealing with someone who NEEDS that warning on the McDonalds coffee cup - "Warning - contents extremely hot."

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, check out New Mexico. It's got plains, desert, forest, and mountain areas. Not many anti-gun nuts outside of Albuquerque. Nice place to live unless you have to earn a living. :-)

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Also, don't forget that automobile licenses are recognized by EVERY state, so that means they want every state to honor each other's CCLs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Ever thought about TN?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, check out New Mexico. It's got plains, desert, forest, and mountain areas. Not many anti-gun nuts outside of Albuquerque. Nice place to live unless you have to earn a living. :-)
View Quote

Didn't AlGore get New Mexico's electoral votes? [:(]
View Quote

yeah, and he prolly got those votes because of the metro area residents.  that's the only reason california went to him in the election.  could probably say the same for new york but i can't remember the map that broke it up by counties.

if any one ever doubts the usefulness of the electoral system, just take a look at that map.  it's the only thing that kept 3 cities from giving gore the presidency.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]
  Didn't AlGore get New Mexico's electoral votes?

Yeah, Al swung the alien vote (over in Roswell).

In re: gun registration vs car registration, which amendment recognizes rapid transportation as a God-given right to be ensured by non-infringement of vehicle ownership?
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey! It snowed here recently (in '85, I think?)
View Quote

Yeah.  I believe that it was '85 as well.  Lived in San Antonio at the time.  I was young enough not to realize how rare it was in Texas.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Not legitamently. The vote was closer than Florida. They had a recount and Bush won by 17 votes. But, mysteriously a box of ballots (all Gore of course) showed up in Doña Ana County right after the recount. The electoral vote didn't much matter as their votes wouldn't have changed anything, unless combined with a combination of Oregon, Iowa, and Wisconson all of which were within the .5% margin that caused an automatic recount in Florida. Even Illinois was close once you remove the double punched ballots in Chicago (which were 10x as many as Palm Beach.) And to think that POS Daley was complaining about us.

New Hampshire is a good state, but was also close and was initially called for Gore only to go to Bush. Anybody see a pattern here ?

I'm not even going to mention the 10,000 Communist Votes in DeLand, FL. Strange thing was that the single city of DeLand composed 99%+ of the national communist vote. It was determined the morning after the election that these were actually misread Gore votes. So, he got 10,000 free votes.

RANT Mode Off.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't AlGore get New Mexico's electoral votes? [:(]
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw very light snow between Brownwood and Sweetwater back in 98. Basically just a few flakes, a couple of which stuck to the ground. Not enough for me. I like to see the snow covered peaks of Rainier, Baker, and Glacier Peak in the middle of July. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Now, for my opinion. Texas is a mix of good and bad.

Good:

Shall Issue CCW
Vehicular Carry No Problem
Lots Of Gun Shows
Most MGs of Any State
Most Dealers Per Capita
etc...

Bad:

Fucked Up Open Carry Rule (Can't Let Anybody See Your Gun.)
Required To Tell A Cop If CCW Holder
Extensive CCW Check has prevented FFLs from getting CCWs before
etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top