Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 9:48:00 AM EDT
Ran into an old friend I hadn't seen for a while. Come to find out he is a memeber of the 19th special forces group. I asked if he'd be interested in going out shooting one day this week. His statement floored me, "naw, i'm really not into shooting, just shoot when I have to" I've known this guy for quite a while and got him into ice climbing, mountaineering and such. Most climbers I know are the granola type that are peace loving hippies. Pretty cool to know another special ops guy even if he is just in the reserve.

Anyone else know a military guy who plays with weapons for his job but doesn't shoot for enjoyment??

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know auto mechanics who drive heaps because they don't like to work unpaid.
View Quote

You just described my Bro-in-law, he's a certified GM mechanic and none of his cars run!!

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I know several military and former military folks including a Navy Seal that don't like to shoot weapons for fun. Most seem to see them as a tool and only shoot enough to stay proficent.

A side note, after six years as NAvy Corpman in a USMC Reserve unit my brother never wanted to go hiking or camping.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd have to think that after all the drills with house/room clearing and so on, that sitting at a bench firing semi auto, etc.  would be kinda boring. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend in the secret service who doesn't enjoy shooting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#8]
AMEN troy!!!

i always said that the Corps could take the fun out of a BJ. the training is good but often the time restraints and lack of ammo keep it from really getting interesting
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]
All the ones I know seem to enjoy it alot. Anything from hunting to busting some clays. [uzi]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I definitely will not camp anymore, after spending many freezing nights sleeping with my field jacket and boots on, it somehow is not fun anymore. On the other hand being in the Army is the sole reason I bought an AR, I fell in love with them on the range. It is one of the most versatile weapons I have ever fired.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I know truckloads of cops that don't even shoot at the range for fun, only when it comes time to qualify, once, sometimes twice a year!
WTF?

I don't consider myself a great shot(my close friends WILL gladly verify this) but I do get out there and actually ENJOY shooting and view it as a huge PRIVELAGE!!![soapbox]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:16:43 AM EDT
[#12]
19th SF Group, Utah Nat.Guard
[url]http://www.groups.sfahq.com/19th/index.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i always said that the Corps could take the fun out of a BJ.
View Quote

Brake Job????  [;)]
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 4:53:58 AM EDT
[#14]
but I do get out there and actually ENJOY shooting and view it as a huge PRIVELAGE!!![soapbox]
View Quote

Ahem. [u]RIGHT[/u]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top