Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2002 11:44:16 AM EDT
I was reformatting and reinstalling windows for a friend and have run into a boot write error while trying to perform fdisk on the hardrive.  In my experience fdisk is the most basic of operations and I it seems strange to me that anything could interfere with this.  The actual error reads:  Boot sector error, Virus continue Y/N?

I tried continuing and formatting but the same error comes up and then you cannot continue anymore.

Any Clue?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Check your BIOS settings.  Many computers have an antivirus option built into the BIOS.  When the option is turned on, it will block any attempt to write to the boot sector which something that FDISK does.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#2]
good call BlammO, that what it was.  I must have done this a thousand times and thats the first time that has happened.  Thank you
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to print this one and save it so I can prove to my boss that I *can* be useful sometimes!  Glad I could help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top