Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/18/2002 11:04:14 AM EDT
Just got an alert from the VA Dept. of Emergency Services re: snow expected. They haven't done this in the past, so it's something new, or they are taking this storm pretty seriously. The EOC alert is as follows: Situation A winter weather event is expected to affect the Commonwealth after midnight tonight and continuing through Saturday evening. Snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain, or a mix is expected in various areas of Virginia. Weather Overview Far SW VA: NWS Morristown, TN advises precipitation will start early after midnight tonight with a mix of snow/sleet/freezing rain and will changeover to rain near daybreak on Saturday, with temps on Saturday in the mid 30's. No real problems expected. Buchanan and Dickenson: NWS Charleston, WVA advises event starting after midnight with 2 inches possible by dawn Saturday; changeover to a mix of snow/sleet/freezing rain by midmorning Saturday; with little accumulation and no ice problems expected. Western/West Central VA: NWS Blacksburg advises to expect about a 12 hour event, starting after midnight tonight as snow overnight changing over to ice and freezing rain early Saturday morning. Expect freezing rain along a line from Wytheville - Hillsville - New River Valley - Roanoke Valley - Lynchburg - Southern Shenandoah Valley; expect 5-6 inches of snow with at least 1/4 inch of ice (but less than 1/2" ice). The event should end by early afternoon Saturday. From Charlottesville to the North: NWS Balt/Washington advises event will begin later tonight to the west moving north and east towards sunrise Saturday. Expect more snow inland and tapering off towards the east and DC. The Winchester area can expect 8 or more inches of snow. Loudoun between 4-8 inches, Fairfax 3-5 inches, DC 2-4 inches. Temperatures will be in the 30's on Saturday. Central and Eastern VA: NWS Wakefield advises more rain will be involved in this area; with 3 to 5 inches of snow with freezing rain possible in Cumberland, Goochland, Fluvanna, Hanover, Louisa, and Caroline Counties; Along a line form Farmville - Lunenburg - Richmond - Northern Neck expect 1 to 3 inches, then 1 inch or less to the SE and mostly rain in Hampton Roads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:17:58 AM EDT
No worry.....Plenty of beer, pretzel, chips and the NFL playoff.....That will be nice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:17:02 PM EDT
Oh how I miss VA snow. Use to live in Stafford from '90-'96. Anyone there remembers Jan '96 blizzard. We got 26 inches. Had plenty of beer, I thought. Didn't realize at first that we would be stuck inside for 7 days. Attempted to walk to Food Lion one day and cross Stafford HS parking lot (no tire tracks to walk in). Almost passed out due to walking in knee deep snow, dumb move on my part. Here in GA where the peaches are sweet and gas is red dirt cheap we dont get snow like that. The "Storm Team" mobilizes if flurries are in the air, they make their predictions, and it never happens. I still like it here, no gun hassles. HICAP out
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:20:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2002 12:21:42 PM EDT by Beachboy]
71 degrees and sunny outside right now, chance of rain tomorrow. I love it!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:24:20 PM EDT
I don't think this will amount to that storm. We haven't one like it since. I distictly rememeber several guys on my street shoveling and pushing to get a Full Sized Dodge 4X4 PU up our unplowed street. It took about 6 of us an hour to get the truck up the slight hill the first time. A little less the next time, then all of us with 4X4's drove up and down a few times to clear some tracks. While we were doing this I watched a woman struggle to dig the snow from around her Miata. When she was done the car was in a bunker so deep you couldn't see it. It didn't move for 10 days. I can't imagine why she went to the effort.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:25:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hicap: Anyone there remembers Jan '96 blizzard. We got 26 inches. Had plenty of beer, I thought. Didn't realize at first that we would be stuck inside for 7 days. Attempted to walk to Food Lion one day and cross Stafford HS parking lot (no tire tracks to walk in). Almost passed out due to walking in knee deep snow, dumb move on my part.
View Quote
LMAO...That was my first winter in VA. We had moved from NJ, where you can expect this kind of weather. I remember looking out my from window. "Hon...where's the Buick?...Oh, wait...There's the antenna!!!" Spend hours shovelling out. Kept yelling up to my wife, "Please remind me, again, why we moved south!"
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:30:48 PM EDT
Winter doesn’t even have the decency to snow on a weekday so I can have an extra day off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:43:17 PM EDT
ARRGGH!! The Bealton Gun Show is tomorrow!! Life just isn’t fair.
Top Top