Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2002 8:18:10 PM EDT
Rudy is my Yoda. He has been in a chair for 30 years from a neck injury.

It is my dream in life that the whole world met Rudy.

[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/BenDover%2Frudy%2Ejpg[/img]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 11:58 PM
To: Michael Hiles
Subject: Fw: hot of the press

Hope all is well. I have a target to finish by my birthday (July) so I am on it.

"Give a little bit, Give a little bit of your life "

It’s such a small to ask, yet in the fast paced hustle bustle of today all too often most tend to forget. This doesn’t require major tragedy to occur for people to look around, wake up and just decide it can be different. It can be better. It starts by just simply giving a damn. One need not put forth energy that will change the world, that’s hard and when one is able to achieve to that magnitude it certainly is welcome. Most of us feel that little bit we can do won’t matter. Think again.

Do you ever recall the stories of somebody saving penny by penny to amass enough to make a great purchase.? Well imagine if they would have just tossed each of those pennies because it couldn’t by a thing.

Acts of giving shouldn’t be because one will receive an award, reward or gain some status elevation. They should come because those who receive such acts will know the true intention. Now there is nothing wrong with a person of high visibility to allow media showing what is being done so long as it makes the case for the cause that much stronger. Often the simplest act will reap the biggest benefit of all, genuine gratitude.

At this writing it is a few weeks away from the winter Olympics for he year 2002. Many will give of their time to present a class show with the eyes of the world watching. There is no intent to diminish the efforts of those producing the event or by no means I am intending to make light of the athletic achievements. Those are the finest athletes in their perspective events the world can see compete at this time. Many young kids will watch and dream that the award podium might someday be theirs’. But there will be some who can only watch and fabricate an unrealistic dream. Now they might train to the best of abilities and if lucky can participate in what we have come to know over the past thirty or so years as the Special Olympics.

If you’ve never witnessed one of these events, sadly it is your loss. Here one has a chance to see the human spirit at it best. The emphasis isn’t on the result of an event but rather on the participation. The thrill and the emotion packed around these events is indescribable. The drive to achieve with the best effort one has is truly a remarkable sight. There are winners, but more important there are no losers. One can glance around and see many a tear stained eye.

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#1]
continued...

The fact you shed a tear merely means you're human fully capable of showing emotion. The intent after one sheds that tear is to realize that although in life we can shed tears over misery, the sweeter tears come when touched by a warm side our fellow human beings are capable of exhibiting. That is why a triumphant moment at Special Olympics can reduce one to tears. It is not that a new world record of achievement was set but rather a joy for that brief moment that a world can forget all of its bullshit and appreciate that somebody is putting forth the best of an ability. There is no life lasting sorrow in loss. The participants didn’t ask people to gather at a large "pity party". They can together to show people that when you keep on trying , you can achieve.

For that reason how can anyone justify confronting life from the "why me?" viewpoint regardless of the situation. No matter what an individuals condition they are alive and that in itself is the sole reason one must do their best at whatever they attempt. With all the various ways one can have life vanish in a split second the fact you are still here means you are winning and that purpose will exist till the next piece of the puzzle is ready to be discovered. The Almighty puts the good in people and at times all we need is that short story to remind us life isn't so bad.

So what’s my point? Simple, if any number of people collectively unite to affect change for the better, be it large or small it certainly will move us to a more positive place. We now tend to collectively unite in thought in the opposite direction. Many feel and agree our individual effort won’t make a difference. You know what we are right because no effort yields no result. Think about it!!!!

R.S. 17 Jan 2002

Link Posted: 1/17/2002 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for sharing that.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
That was a great read.

Thanks Ben.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Rudy is writing a book right now and if/when he finishes it - it will become a best seller.

He lives in a tiny little apartment by himself and works as the house booking agent for the bar/venue across the street.

He is a Hungarian immigrant who fled during the communist invasion in the 50s. His family came to America and he grew up in government housing in East St. Louis and then New Haven CT.

He managed to get a scholarship to Illinois State and would have been the first person in his family to ever attend university.

Christmas break of his freshman year he was driving home to see the family and fell asleep at the wheel. He hit the only tree in three square miles. The accident did not sever his spine though. It only broke the vertebrate. The ignorant EMT squad on the scene did not treat him for back injury. When they moved him, his spine hyper-extended, which caused the paralysis.

Rudy was awarded the largest medical settlement sum to date in CT as a result. Instead of saving the money, he spent every single penny on a house for his parents and siblings. His father still lives in this house today.

I am greatful to have been given the chance to connect with this man. He is a testament to the triumph of the human spirit.

I wish that everyone could get to meet him.

I might try to bring him out to BulletFest at CAMPYBOBs this spring.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#6]
When you see a condition such as Rudy's, it is really hard to complain about your own state of affairs, yet most often the greatest thing we take for granted is our health. Amen to Rudy for maintaining a positive outlook despite his condition.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When you see a condition such as Rudy's, it is really hard to complain about your own state of affairs, yet most often the greatest thing we take for granted is our health. Amen to Rudy for maintaining a positive outlook despite his condition.
View Quote

Man you hit the nail right on the top.

Rudy was there for me during a bad time in my life. I would have probably ended my own life if it were not for this man. Funny thing is, it was just the fact of him living and being himself that kept me going. I had a hard time rationalizing my situation and my actions when I am looking at this guy who does more than most of us can with 20% of the capability.

Whenever I need a good bitch slap for feeling sorry for myself, I always go see Rudy and that usually takes care of it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#8]
You're a good man BenDover and lucky to have such a friend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top