Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2002 12:55:37 PM EDT
I have a windows 2000 server.  It has some asp pages on it that send email through the SMTP service.  

Well for the first 5 or ten minutes after a reboot it wil send mail to the domain and out side the domain.  Then after about ten min.  That damn thing quits sending mail to the local domain and will only send it outside, like hotmail or any other domain.  

I am about to put a 12 gauge slug in it.  No error messages, no  nothing.  Not in the log files, not any where.  It sucks.  Some one please tell me why computer make our lives easier?

Edited to make it easier to read.  added paragraphs and what not.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
noting in event viewer?  
check technet?
Or at least the website
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Crappybob,
Applied the latest service packs?

Careful with the service packs for Exchange.
SP2 killed a test box, out of the box.

Have had a *ton* of issues to work through on BackOffice 2k SBS.

Amazed at some of the problems on their moderated communities.

Their sigs have gone from,
"Delighting our customers is our top priority."

to
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

If you can wait, will ask our killer tomorow.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I just rebooted and it never fails.  Sends mail to local domain.  Then stops.  My boss put back office on there the other day.  Would that cause crazy stuff like this?  

I can find no service or application that starts from the time it will send local mail to the time it quits.  I was hopeing there was some chance that one of you guys had the same problem.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#4]
oh god, SMTP on a W2k box... most frustrating thing I have tried to do (note tried, and died).

You may have a process hung. You can check via the taks manager, or my prefered method TLIST -T from the command prompt (need the W2k reskit).

Man, I don't know why ASP and SMTP is such a bitch on W2k, it just is. Also check your message syntax in your ASP page. Try to dump the output to a text file before you send it to the SMTP server. There might be something not right (space, comma, CR, etc).

Send a note to Goatboy, he might be able to rattle something off the top of his head.

As for "Some one please tell me why computer make our lives easier?" I have no real clue, but it keeps asocial people employed, and out of sight from the general public, where they can scare others.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
oh god, SMTP on a W2k box... most frustrating thing I have tried to do (note tried, and died).

You may have a process hung. You can check via the taks manager, or my prefered method TLIST -T from the command prompt (need the W2k reskit).

Man, I don't know why ASP and SMTP is such a bitch on W2k, it just is. Also check your message syntax in your ASP page. Try to dump the output to a text file before you send it to the SMTP server. There might be something not right (space, comma, CR, etc).

Send a note to Goatboy, he might be able to rattle something off the top of his head.

As for "Some one please tell me why computer make our lives easier?" I have no real clue, but it keeps asocial people employed, and out of sight from the general public, where they can scare others.
View Quote

Are we talking about the same thing? What is hard about IIS SMTP... it requires zero setup and always works fine for me!  

Make sure you have all latest service packs and critical updates installed.  Check your inetpub\mailroot\queue directory to see if the messages are getting stuck on the machine.  Turn on SMTP logging and see how it is trying to deliver the message.  Hope this helps!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top